Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

Wafting Annuals for Border Plants in PA?

kr222
12 years ago

Although I've been gardening for many years, fragrance has been sadly overlooked. I really want to plant some lower-growing (under 2') annuals that will WAFT with fragrance day or night. I would also like them to look nice along the border to my front door from Spring until Fall. I live in zone 6b, Pennsylvania if this helps.

Thank you.

Kim

Comments (7)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

Hi Kim,
    While I can't guarantee they will look good througout the year, these seem have quite a long blooming season:

Alyssum
    Dianthus* (Sweet William, Dwarf Carnations)
    Phlox*
    Snapdragons*
    Petunias*

*You may want to research which varieties or species are fragrant. Many modern varieties, especially snapdragons and petunias have had the fragrance outbred.

You may also be interested in the old-fashioned vining petunias from Seed Savers Exchange (seedsavers.org). This variety has been praised by several members here for being pleasantly fragrant.

Dar

• kr222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dar
    Thanks for the suggestions. I never heard of old-fashioned vining petunias before. I tried to look up garden pictures of them, but there aren't many online. It's tough to visualize how they would look. They are definitely something I'm interested in learning more about.

You're right about modern varieties. Scent sure gets overlooked during the hybridization process. I guess that's why my garden is missing it. I grew snapdragons last year and they have no fragrance at all. Fragrant plants are hard to find in garden centers around here.

I was looking at fragrant plant lists on here and I saw nicotiana listed. There was a site selling Fragrant Cloud seeds. Anyone have any experience with this variety or any others? I think they're a hybrid, so do the offspring (even if they look different) still have fragrance? I want to be able to smell them from a few feet away on warm summer nights.

Thanks!

• mersiepoo
    12 years ago

Datura is very fragrant, and usually doesn't get too huge. Sometimes it can over winter as well. I love the scent myself! There are also daffodils that have great scents like Winston Churchill for early spring.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Petunias, the original ones or the very dark purple ones.

Mike

• elvis
    12 years ago

Sweet allysum, absolutely. Especially white ones. They are just right for the very front of the flower bed. They also do well in window boxes and other pots, for the deck, for instance. I've never run across a white allysum that wasn't FRAGRANT.

• kr222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great! I just ordered Snow Crystals sweet alyssum. I can't wait until it's time to plant! I also ordered Old-Fashioned Vining Petunias and Nicotiana sylvestris. If my garden lacks fragrance this season, I better get my sniffer checked. :)
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• buzzy
    12 years ago

Nicotiana alata, Fragrant Cloud really is... the best wafting annual in my experience, but only in the evening, when it absolutely fills the yard and house with the scent of jasmine. HEAVENLY!

Alyssum is also wonderful, but during the day with the sun warm on it - honey scent.

also be sure to grow wallflowers - even though biennial, they are worth it! Wonderful wafting fragrance during day and night.