Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasm_07

My jasmine is drying ..need help immediately

jasm-07
16 years ago

Hi,

I live in Oklahoma city and I have Jasmine Sambac (Duke of Tuscany). I have 3 pots and the containers are indoor and there is sunlight during day time . But suddenly one of my plant's leaves are drying out ..One of my plants have buds too but this one is drying and no flowers either...If any one has any idea please let me know ..I would really appreciate that. I do water them once a week now adays .

SO now I am all confuse what to do .Need help !

Comments (9)

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, jasm, mine does the same thing every year and i have had mine for about 7 or 8 years. I spray the leaves every day or 2 and still some will dry out and fall off. but when i put it outside usually late may, it starts growing new leaves and flowers again. word of caution: let the soil dry to barely moist before you water and when you do water give it alot. this is what i find with mine in my area: i have central gas heating and it is growing in the basement and the temp in the basement is 60F.
    sue

• quinnfyre
    16 years ago

Check for mites. Usually when my jasmines have started dropping leaves and aborting buds, mites are the culprit. Look on the backs of leaves for little specks and possibly some webbing. If you see them, give the jasmine a shower, using a sprayer if you have one, and use enough water pressure to gently blast away the mites (not so much that you just blast away leaves in the process). Check every few days to see if they return; repeat process if they do. If they keep coming back, then you might have to resort to tougher methods to get rid of them.

But check to see if you have them first. Although it wouldn't hurt to give the jasmine a shower anyway.

• jeelli
    16 years ago

My Star Jasmine were drying up too- I have three, all together. I discovered a pretty good infestation of Spider Mites- thank goodness they are away from the rest of my plants. I'm not sure if they can be saved though...

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Jasmines, and star jasmines (botanic name trachelospermum) can come back from near total defoliation so long as the roots are OK, trim off dead leaves and any dead or dying stem tips to help start new growth, and be careful not to "kill them with kindness" by pouring water on them -- no leaves means not a lot of water transpiring out of the plant, so they don't need much water until they start leafing out again!

Jim

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Mines always dies all the back to the pot even in my very cool unheated sunny room..Seems to me that mine get a case of Botritis and I have to spray with a disease control or loose all the leaves..The leaves first get kind of soft and dry looking, then turn brown and hang on unless I strip them off..Such a pain. Even all the vines and branches turn brown and dry out...

• Just Started(Sydney)
    7 years ago

@hgriff. Check for spider mite infestation. Shower under side of leaves every 3rd morning.

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Hgriff what zone are you in and which jasmine is it? Since you have this plant for 15 yrs I know you have been taking care of it very well. Mine always drop leaves but again make new leaves gradually. I hope it comes back but take some cuttings on safe side. As long as the stems are green you should be fine. The plant is 15 yrs old so it could be that its time has come. Good luck!

• debutt
    6 years ago

My star jasmine WAS doing fine, then very quickly leaves started fading into white, redness too, and no flowers. No evidence of insects. Put a poking stick in the ground and after a 3”depth, the stick just sunk into the earth with very little resistance, and then resistance again. Further digging revealed mole tunnels. I believe that the “air pockets” created by the mole has caused damage to root of plant. Most of the area is covered with 2” rocks and other areas have mulch, so it was not possible to see the ridge line of the moles. I had installed a water bubbler near the base of the jasmine root ball, which moles seem to like cuz more grubs collect. Now I will have to remove the rocks, dig and add more soil and remove the air pockets , and wrap a barrier of chicken wire around the root ball to deter the moles. I don’t even know if all this effort will save the plant, but I have to try. I HATE MOLES!