Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia not branching

Posted by brooklynbonnie NYC 6 or 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 17:44

I was gifted a gardenia, probably from a bodega down the block so not the best source or care before I got it. The plant is maybe 8 inches tall now which is only a couple inches taller than when I received it at the start of the year. I've read up as much as possible and searched pictures but can't find any gardenia that looks as small as mine nor can I find out when it should start branching out.

The main stalk is as thin as a bamboo skewer (the thin ones!). I've tried pinching the growing point multiple times, but either it has no effect or it grows two sets of leaves on each side of the middle, instead of only one new set, then the main stalk continues to produce upwards.

The leaves are dark, wide and healthy looking. I keep a dish of water under the pot saucer for humidity and it gets good light in a South facing window since I brought it home. The soil may not be the best but I didn't think repotting it before a year has gone by was a good idea.

When will it start branching out or how can I make it branch out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia not branching

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 9:01

Just let the plant grow to about 3feet tall and then maybe the top may branch a bit. In the mean time new branches will emerge from the bottom. Each of these will again grow to about 3ft tall and it goes on this way. This is typically how gardenias grow.

o

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 9:02

Just let the plant grow to about 3feet tall and then maybe the top may branch a bit. In the mean time new branches will emerge from the bottom. Each of these will again grow to about 3ft tall and it goes on this way. This is typically how gardenias grow.

o

Thank you Tolip! I had no idea they had to get so big before they would branch! I will stop worrying about it (and try to stop knocking it out off of the windowsill which I did right after typing my question last night - LOL)

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here