Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am so MAD at myself! Have you ever done this?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 18:26

Yup, I went against my own judgement and put one of my fragrant orchids on a table that I just knew might fall off and break the spike!

I should of kept it where it was, from away from my clumsy body! I bumped into the table, the orchid fell off, and in such a way that it snapped off my nice long spike just about to open full of flowers.

Well at least I have another spike coming up after waiting a whole year:-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am so MAD at myself! Have you ever done this?

Hi Meyermike,
Yes I have and it is a most painful experience! My tramatized self even convinced me to tape/clip it back to the remaining stem because it MIGHT bloom....it did not. :) So sorry.

o

I've done such things a million times, Mike... it's depressing, to be sure... but it happens to the most careful of people. On the good side, they're beautiful flowers, and all the plant's energy will now go toward the second spike of blooms, if that makes you feel any better.

I know how bad it feels... but I bet I'm way more clumsy than you'll ever be! Can you fall UP stairs? I can! Have you ever fallen INTO a car? I have!

The old man says, "expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed!" He means it rather jokingly, but it does hold a bit of truth.

o

Oh thank goodness I don't fall like that. I'm already afraid of heights, I'd hate to be afraid of standing and walking too. :D

Mike, I truly sympathize with your poor broken orchid... can you cut the stem and put it in water? would it open that way or is it a complete loss?

o

Sympathy!!

o

This is terrible! So sorry, Mike. :(
I hope you can save it by putting the broken stem in water like Rosey suggested!

-Robert

o

So sorry about your Orchid, Mike..
Guess we all dropped plants at LEAST once.

I third placing flower stalk in water. A tall, thin, tube-like vase would be perfect. Toni

o

On the up side, I CAN walk and chew gum at the same time! LOL!

o

Yes Murphy laws states things like this will happen. I often think that pot tipping is one sure fire way to ensure me of a plants heartiness.
A personal pot tipping record of mine is a single pot tipping five times in four months. Results, the pot has a nice small chip the young small plant did slow down in growth but is still alive and well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here