Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Which Honeysuckle?

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I'm trying to decide on a honeysuckle that I want for the garden next year. I'm interested in purchasing from Brushwood Nursery. The three I like most are Belgica, Serotina Florida and Sweet Sue. I'm looking for fragrance, most importantly. It will go in a 15 inch pot and have an eastern exposure growing on the back steps. Does anybody out there grow any of these? I'm thinking of Sweet Sue since it has the longer blooming season and gets the largest of the three.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• User
    14 years ago

Moonwolf,
    You have to check to see if honeysuckle is hardy to zone 4 if you are keeping it in a pot over the winter.
    The pot rule is minus 2 zones for winter hardiness.
    Do you know what I mean?
    I don't know if honeysuckle is hardy down to zone 4.
    Mabey someone on here can tell you if it is, if they live in zone 4.
    Otherwise, plant the pot in the ground and mulch it over the winter. That way you won't have to worry.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Butterfly,

I looked at my choices and Brushwood lists them as being hardy to zone 4. Funny, I always thought it was container plants were minus 1 zone for winter hardiness. Oops!

I may have to plant it in the ground with or without the pot then. I'm in no hurry since spring's a long way off.

Thanks, Butterfly!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    14 years ago

Among the choices you listed, 'Serotina Florida' would definitely be my top pick. It flowers all summer, has a compact growth habit and has good color and scent. It should do well in a large container.

I used to grow all three of these cultivars. 'Belgica' is lovely and produces one great flush of bloom but does not repeat. 'Sweet Sue' has a very bland, washed out look which disappointed me since I am fond of white/cream-colored flowers. 'Serotina Florida' was the best of the three.

Cultivars of Lonicera periclymenum have a wonderful perfume but it not nearly as strong or as pervasive as that of L. japonica or L. fragrantissima.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ispahan, unfortunately, Brushwood has sold out of Serotina Florida. I may e-mail them to see when they could get it back in stock. Sweet Sue may be my next option then. Belgica is definitely out for me then, since I want a honeysuckle to last all season.

I bought a honeysuckle back in June and it never flowered for me. They were selling pots of it, labeled as "Old Fashioned Honeysuckle", at a local garden center. I'm not even sure it's fragrant!!! All I can say is it's not evergreen.

Is there anywhere else that sells Serotina Florida?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I e-mailed Brushwood and they responded saying that they'll have Serotina Florida ready again around spring!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• MichaelL
    14 years ago

Worth looking for is the cultivar 'Winchester'. Exceptionally resistant to mildew, it is otherwise similar to 'Serotina Florida'.

• tallman1948
    11 years ago

I have been searching for a honeysuckle that is very fragrant and season long for zone 5. I found goldflame to be only mildly fragrant, more in mornings and evenings, Winchester the same, if somewhat stronger. I would like to try sweet sue. any suggestions?