Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

Can I Grow Michelia Alba or Michelia Champaca Indoors?

ponderinstuff
16 years ago

I would like to find a Michelia Alba plant and/or a Michelia Champaca plant. I live in Zone 6 so I know I cannot grow this plant outdoors. Does anyone have any advice for growing these plants indoors? If it IS possible to grow this plant as an indoor plant, how can I give them enough humidity in the winter when the heating system dries the indoor air?

Bonus question: Anyone have an inexpensive source for these plants?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (151)

• Just Started(Sydney)
    3 years ago

Champaca is floral punchy and saturated. Alba is sweet refreshing and delicate.

• sevenseeds
    3 years ago

Thank you Matt38 and andr3ana,

According to your watering instructions, I may not be watering my michelia often enough! And maybe the wrong amount. Does the photo look like that may be possible? I've been watering about once every 1 to 2 weeks, but I do mist it a couple of times on some of the really hot days we've had over the summer this year. I'm going to start keeping a record of when I water and how much I give. Do you check the soil before you water? How do you do it and what do you look for? How far down should it be dry? and become moist?

Andr3ana, when you planted your tree, how did you do it (hole and soil)? How old was your tree and what kind of sun does it get? How is it doing? Would it be possible for you to post some photos of it?

Any ideas about what may be snacking on my leaves and what to do about it? What may be causing the lighter green spots on the leaves?

Thank you so much for your responses - I really appreciate it!

• wakeupsandy28
    3 years ago

Everyone,
    I think I spot a flower bud and not a leaf bud.....I’m excited!

• Just Started(Sydney)
    3 years ago

@sevenseeds The coloration on the leaves is kinda of fine. Mine had too. It is not a worry.

However you should hose the underside of the leaves to remove the chance of mites snacking on them.

The leaves will droop. No matter what you do. In my case it was me feeding it well as a result of which the leaves were on the larger size. No amount of watering can perk them up.

Regarding watering lesser is better when it is in soil. If in doubt do not water.

If the soil is not well draining then that will be an issue in case of heavy sustained rains stretching over few days.

• matt38
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi @sevenseeds, I checked on the dryness of the soil for the first month after I planted the M. alba in the ground. I examined the top 3 inches of the soil. If the top 2 inches of soil was dry and the 3rd inch of soil was moist, I would water it. If the top 2 inches was wet, I would wait for a few more days. It was kind of trial and error. Different weather and different soil type would have different results.

• sevenseeds
    3 years ago

@Just Started(Sydney) and @matt38 - I am so grateful for your reassuring responses.

matt38 - I look forward to following your very specific explanation of of how to check for when to water. Have you ever worried about our winter rains and your Michelia getting too much water? Is there anything that can control such a situation? Temporarily putting a tarp on the ground around the Michelia?

Thank you!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

You are so lucky to be able to plant in the ground. I keep mine small so I don’t have to worry about mines with mites. More manageable and to be able to find space inside. But it does really well. I’ve killed 3 with mites and using improper putting mix.

• Kim (Toronto z6a/7a)
    3 years ago

Hello all,

I was wondering if there’s a need to let the tree go dormant in the winter time if it’s kept indoors in a pot. I live in zone 6a, so I can’t leave it outside. I’ve already brought the tree in, and it’s currently located in front of a window and gets 4 hours of light from a grow light.

Thanks in advance!

Kim

• matt38
    3 years ago

Hi @sevenseeds, roots need to breathe (figuratively speaking). Area under the tarp could also harbor unwanted bacteria, fungi, and pests. I think we should avoid to put a tarp on top of the root area.

Last time when you planted your M. alba 6 months ago, I mentioned about to plant the tree with the crown of the roots about 2 inches above the surrounding ground, and then put some garden soil to cover the roots to make a small mount, which should help the growing points of the main roots not to be soaked in the water for a long period of time by accidental over watering or rain. If we had done that, it should be fine for the coming rain season.

As for the drooping of the leaves, you could shorten your watering cycle to 4 to 5 days and water it with 1 to 2 gallons of water to see if it can help.

As for improving the color of the leaves, you could feed the tree with half strength of water soluble fertilizer, such as Miracle Gro water soluble fertilizer, every other week.

As for examining the dryness of my soil, I just did it in the first month after I planted my M. alba. After testing a few times, I had a rough idea of how often and how much of water the tree needed.

• sevenseeds
    3 years ago

@matt38, Thank you for all the good tips. I followed your advise and planted the crown of the tree higher than the surrounding soil (maybe not quite 2 inches after it settled), so hopefully that will help. As for the plastic tarp, I meant for a few hours or a day if there is a heavy rain, but maybe that's not such a good idea either. In general, I am very good with plants, but I am humbled by the beautiful and sometimes difficult to understand michelia.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

• sevenseeds
    3 years ago

@andr3ana Your m alba is lovely! You did all the right things and she looks very happy.

Yes, we've certainly been getting some heatwaves.

Thanks so much for your response.

• Just Started(Sydney)
    3 years ago

Do not remove the leaves which got half burnt. The burnt part will rot away and remaining half of leaf will keep working fine.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

Kim. I’m not sure if this tree really goes dormant. Hopefully someone will answer.
    If it drops leaves inside it’s usually because it’s not a happy camper.
    Make sure to spot check for bugs every months , clean leaves off even if you don’t see mites , provide lots of air movement and sunlight.

• Kim (Toronto z6a/7a)
    3 years ago

@Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely be checking for pests.

• matt38
    3 years ago

I found "Insecticidal Soap" is very effective to get rid of spider mites, aphids, ants etc. Spray on the insects directly. If they are too small to be seen, then spray the whole plant, top and bottom of all leaves. Rinse it off after one hour with tap water. It can be used again after 7 days. Insecticidal Soap is a mixture of soap, oil and water, but it is very effective to suffocate and kill small insects. It is also used for organic farming.

• Chiluveru Nagarjuna
    3 years ago

Can we grow in out doors michelia alba better give only vermi and neem cake

• laimoniq CC9B
    2 years ago

@matt38, I’m in contra costa county. Zone 9b and just got a small M Alba in a pot. Can you share some tips? Should I let it stay in the pot or plant in soil? I’m debating this as it does get cold with 32 F temperatures in winter.

• laimoniq CC9B
    2 years ago

New to the M Alba club.

• matt38
    2 years ago

@laimoniq CC9B, welcome to the group. You have a healthy and young Michelia alba. Since you got it recently, I would recommend to keep it in pot for now so that it can adept to your environment and the micro-climate. And also, the hot summer is coming in San Francisco Bay Area.

If you really want to plant it in ground, please wait until late September or October. The weather then is much better and the plant can survive the transplanting shock better. And it still has time to grow more roots in ground before winter.

Meanwhile, water it properly, about every other day or every two to three days, depending on how fast the soil drys up in your area and in this hot summer. You can observe if the soil is dry and lift the pot to feel if it is still heavy. If it is still heavy, skip that day. Over watering it could kill the plant.

Definitely keep your young Michelia alba plant under partial shade. It needs sun to make sugar and grow. But too much sun can burn its leaves, our air here is relatively dry in SF Bay Area too.

You may consider fertilize it with half-strength or quarter-strength liquid soluble fertilizer every other week, such as Miracle Gro.

The plant likes some breeze, but not windy. Too much wind could shake its roots. Its rooting system is relatively brittle and easily broken. Its tender leaves can also be easily damaged.

The heavenly fragrance of the flowers, translucent emerald leaves and the majestic shape of the tree are well worth our efforts.

Good luck, @laimoniq CC9B. Enjoy your plant and enjoy the summer.

• jasmine UKzone9a
    2 years ago

hi, I am new to michelia.alba as well. I start growing mine since January this year. it has go through a lot, root rot, leaf turn brown, spider mite attack. I am glad I haven't totally kill it yet and I hope I can figure out how to grow it before I kill it. here is a photo of my poor michelia.alba.

• laimoniq CC9B
    2 years ago

Thank You @matt38 for the useful tips! I see little green buds since a few weeks now and I can’t wait for them to bloom!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Definitely not a beginners plant, but Matt gave great advice)

• Marc Le
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Anitra_r_pacbell_net hey not sure if your still on this post but wondering if you have successfully grown michelia "champaca" from seeds and do you have any pro tips.

I ordered 100 seeds from India and planing to try and get successful germination in San Francisco. indoors with a heating pad. Then when they get taller will bring them outside to a soon be created make shift greenhouse rectangle box from 2x2 wood lol

@Mickey Kwok

matt38 hey i created a fb group for michelia alba enthusiast, just thought to share since you guys seem very knowledgeable with this plant

https://www.facebook.com/groups/micheliaalba/?ref=share

also has anyone seed Magnolia x alba 'Golden' (Champaa Thong) on the market ? i cant remember is south pacific orchids sells it.

also is there a way to tell the difference of michelia species without flowers based on leaf formation/growth or stem?

• duxetrng
    last year

Mine is 20+ years old. I just bring it inside for winter here in PA.

• savy4
    last year

Wow! what’s the secret in keeping it alive that long? What kind of pot do you use?

terracota or plastic pots?

savy

• duxetrng
    last year

Composite pot for easy bringing in and out. We also use Scott pottiing soil for its not heavy like regular soil to reduce weight.

• duxetrng
    last year
    last modified: last year

There is no secret. I just keeps it growing as long as it wants to. What I do anually when bring it out is to fertilize and root trim if needed.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year

DO you provide lots of sunlight?

And, do you have to treat for bugs?

Any fans inside?

How long does it stay indoors?

Thanks

Great job

• duxetrng
    last year

When inside, from late oct (night temp in 50s), till early may (night temp above 50), it sits in north facing 2 story foyer with lot of light (lot of windows). We just have central air so no fan except that. I isolate it from other plants to avoid cross-infected so I have never treated for bug at all. What I learned over the years is to let it sit out side with night temp in low 50s for a week or so during fall would kill majority of pest. The remain of the year, it sit in a sunny spot outside my north facing front yard. When indoor, it would produce a burst of flowers during this time before I bring it outsiide in may. Thanks!

• savy4
    last year

My tree was big last year. But it died this year. I just got a new one.

• duxetrng
    last year

Sorry to hear.! I have long accepted the reality that mine would go away any time. Will just have to start all over then.

• savy4
    last year

Thank you for the advice. What potting soil do you use?

• duxetrng
    last year

Scotts

• savy4
    last year

Did you mix perlite in too or no? And how big is your pot? My tree do well outdoor but when it comes inside the house thats when it starts acting up. Like leaf drop.

• duxetrng
    last year

The first few weeks or so, it will start shedding the old leaves after bring it inside. But if you give it lots of light and warm and keep the soil moist, it will begin to sprout new leaves and buds. Eventually new leaves will replace all the old and flowers begin to bloom. Scotts potting soil is airy enough so I do not add anything else. Pot size is I think extra large but I don’t remember the exact size.

• savy4
    last year

Wow your Michelia Alba tree trunk looks bigi. You have a greenthumb over the years i had killed so many Albas. But I still would not give up. This year i had just got a new one. Its about 6ft tall my new one. Hopefully it wouldn’t die on my me. I think Michelia Alba likes to be in a small pot.

Savy

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year

Light is the key from what my take is.

I would keep mine in doors too if I had that much light.

Never did try artificial lights but I do keep mine in my greenhouse which thrives.

I think it's common for them to drop their summer leaves for winter one then vie versa. Mine is growing new leaves again from the hotter sunshine)

Love this tree!

You are right, an airy mix is also very important!! I use a 5.1.1 mix in a clay container to allow dissolved salts to drain and less chances of over watering and root rot which these are very susceptible to.

• duxetrng
    last year

Agree! Light is number 1. Watering right is number 2. In winter when inside, with the airy Scotts, I would water only when the top is dry to the touch (about a week or so). I would do the same outside in summer but would let the water flush out of the bottom for a minute or so.

• Just Started(Sydney)
    last year

@duxetrng How do you root prune. I think I cannot increase the pot size any more. So repot in same pot means root pruning and I am a bit scared on that.

Also do you prune the tree? How deep the cuts you make in the branches?

• duxetrng
    last year

I just cut out the dead and weak branch. Mine is getting too high (15+ ft) so I cut the top off as well. Hope that help!

• savy4
    last year

Hi Duxetrng,

I just got a new michelia alba it comes in a 10 inch nursery pot. I have a 12 inch terracota pot and a 14 inch. Which one wood be bette?

Thanks

Savy

• duxetrng
    last year

Terracota tends to dry the soil quicker than others just so you know. I would go to the 12.

• duxetrng
    last year

If you like to go to the 14, I think that's OK too.

• savy4
    last year

Yes, I think the 12 in I would have to change it faster. Yes you’re right 14 in is okay too.

• savy4
    last year

Hi duxetrng,

Which pot do you think is better for the alba?

• duxetrng
    last year

I would go with the black plastic.

• savy4
    last year

Is it because it wont dry out as fast?

savy

• duxetrng
    last year

That’s the main reason and more space. If your new plant is too small for it then I would go with the smaller.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz