Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xcountry695

J. Stephanense in zone 5

xcountry695
18 years ago

I have heard that this can be incredibly hardy some have said they can sucessfully grow it in my zone does anyone know for sure. I've got many places where the soil doesn't freeze all winter if that is any concellation. Please tell me. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• mare2
    18 years ago

I asked this question a couple of years ago after reading one nursery's claim that theirs is hardy to zone 5. Unfortunately that post doesn't seem to still be around, but I got some wonderful advice. Some people had suggested officinale as a more fragrant alternative, and below was a follow-up. I did order the nursery's stephanense last summer, so will see for myself how that one does. My outdoor jasmines are all in one very protected, south-facing location.
    My philosophy is if you're in doubt, try it out. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy jasmine question follow-up

• xcountry695
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much. I am amazed it made it I hope mine will and I will go with offinical since I know how good that smells.
    Thanks a lot,
    Greg

• mare2
    18 years ago

If youÂre interested in officinale, IÂll try to pass along the very helpful info that the poster who recommended it gave me. He said stephanense is a cross between officinale and the less-fragrant beesianum and pointed out that it makes sense to go straight for the superior parent. He said to lay the plant on the ground its first couple of winters and mulch very thickly. He also warned that the plant gets huge, and was he ever right. I grow mine right up against the house for protection, but itÂs already threatening to eat the house in only its second year. But to me itÂs just so cool to have jasmines in this climate that IÂm hoping pruning will help keep it under control. --Mare

• xcountry695
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh that is so amazing. I really cant wait. now the problem arises of where I'm going to get one. Thanks a lot Mare you have been helpful.
    thanks again,
    Greg

• lori_londonuk
    18 years ago

I have stephanense and officinale in my garden. I can't comment on hardiness as I don't get winters as cold as yours and here the stephanense is evergreen in my winters. I find the scent of stephanense disappointing compared to the officinale which is wonderful, but on the whole I find it better behaved than the officinale which grows like a monster so I have to cut it back drastically each year.

• xcountry695
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank You Lori, I have heard that Officinale is crazy in growth. London must be a beautiful city, I really hope to visit someday. Although I don't believe that I could live there, Could not stand the thought of city living no matter where or how beautiful. No offence intended of course. But thanks a lot.
    Greg

• yacheryl
    18 years ago

I have the Jasminum Officinale and I can
    tell you here in central Florida,
    it is never out of bloom.
    It has completely taken over a 20'x7' walkway trellis.

It does get down in the 30's and 40's here,
    the tips of the leaves might turn brown,
    but with-in a few days, it's flowering again.........cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: J. Officinale