Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kemistry_gw

Fragrant Brunfelsia?

kemistry
13 years ago

I've found a new obession and it's Brunfelsia! I read that their scents are lovely and they are very fragrant at night time.

Im eyeing both the B. nitida and B. gigantea right now. Some also commented that B. jamaicensis and B. americana are also wonderful.

How easy are these plants? And please tell me your favorite(s).

Comments (49)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, Kemistry. They are very easy, so don't worry on that score. They are robust and grow quite fast. As to which-- I grew several about 5 years ago that were quite fragrant at dusk, with the fragrance wafting, but unfortunately threw my notes out.

I'm just starting again with new ones, and won't find out again which are the best till next summer. But I' sure someone else can fill you in on that.

The flowers are big beautiful white tubey flowers, and the leaves are shiny. Quite an attractive plant.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mehitabel! Which Brunfelsia are you currently growing?
    I just placed an order for the B. nitida and B. gigantea. Very looking forward to growing them.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

Kemistry,

You will love both Brunfelsia nitida and B. gigantea (also known as B. lactea). B. nitida tends to rest at the more spicey/clove end of the the fragrance spectrum whereas B. gigantea is a little sweeter. Both have wonderful, clean fragrances with great wafting ability, especially if it is humid and warm. And both plants are quite accommodating and non-fussy. There is quite a bit of (mis)information online saying that Brunfelsias resent root disturbance and will die or become stunted if you transplant or repot them, but I have never found that to be the case.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

I absolutely agree with ispahan about the misinformation about Bruns. I repot more or less continually as a plant outgrows its pot, with no problems. Thanks for the notes on fragrances, ispahan.

Kemistry, I loved them from before so I bought all the white ones I could get my hands on-- nitida, lactea, jamaicensis. I think I have four-- will update when I check downstairs in a day or so.

You will absolutely love these next summer when they bloom almost nonstop.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ispahan and mehitabel for your comments.
    I love night fragrances so this is so exciting. Will update when the plants are here.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

If you want to know what my now new best fragrant plant is, it is this!! Especially the one called
    "Lady Of The Knight"!
    Has anyone else ever smelled the beautiful white flowers on this plant???? Mines smell great well beyond teh morning sun..I am getting more..

Easy to grow..

Mike

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Kemistry,

Did your new additions arrive? Where did you get them? Not that I need another plant but maybe I should buy this too lol

Hi Mike! Our plant wants are never-ending lol

-Bo

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bo (how are you and your mangoes doing? :))

I bought them from Logee and they just shipped the plants out today. Logee is having a 20% off sale on all items tomorrow and wed so it is probably a good time to grab them (code: email20)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Mike, what is the botanical name of the Night Lady?

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Toai, my Graham is doing surprisingly well (in her winter quarters aka my bathroom lol) though, my Zebda is quite naked but I am hoping she makes a recovery come springtime.

I will make stop at Logee's. Thanks for the code ( :

How's your plumeria and other fragrant plants?

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My brunfelsias havent arrived today, maybe today. I'll post a picture when they are here.

Bo, if I remember correctly one of your mangoes had flowered this summer? Did it give you any fruits?
    I got a Plumeria Celadine in the fall, came with 2 big leaves but it's bald at this moment. My dwarf plumeria didn't have much of a scent indoor, and since i lack space i gave it to my friend to adopt.
    The other fragrants, magnolias and murraya are doing great. Some of my jasminum sambac aren't as healthy but still hanging on.
    I only killed 2 plants this year so I think i did well. :_)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Toai, yep, the Graham had beautiful flower spikes (and I could even see tiny baby mangoes). But the squirrels decided that it was not to be... They chopped off the branch with all the flower spikes! I was very upset and disappointed. This next year I will have to be better armed and prepared!

My friend gave me a dwarf singapore. I too was disappointed with the scent and the flower size. Also, I have a Celadine cutting potted in a water bottle with Christmas lights wrapped around it.

Though, I have to tell ya your orange jasmine and jujube seedlings did not survive in my care. I am afraid I let a few of them burn in the scorching sun. : (

I didn't kill any of my tropical fruit trees so I too think I did pretty good and learned a lot as well!

How's your ylang ylang?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Bo..

I too am VERY disappointed with the flower size and fragrance...Thank God it does not occupy any space in my house,because if it had to, I would rid of it..
    If I had known you were wanting this particular plant, I would of picked one up for you and sent it, since I would of made sure it was the best in the house and BUG free..
    Let me know, and on my next visit to Logee's, I will get one for you...I just picked up 3 more last week..
    Now, I can't wait for the spring..This fridig air is already driving me nuts.

Kemistry: Did your plants arrive yet? I hope so and safe and sound in this brutal cold..:-)You sure did do well.

Hi Mehitabel: I am not sure of the name..But I can easliy find out for you..There are three different white kinds I have..
    1: One is very fragrant and stops with the awesome fragrance once the sun comes up.
    2: The "Lady of the night" seems to continue with the sweet fragrance well beyond the sunrise which is my absolute favorite.
    3: The other flower much more profussely with many more flowers at once, but too only has a fragrance at night. They do not like to dry out like many plants do although they can handle it..
    Seems like they love a mix that stays evenly moist and that drains very well. A very open and light mix.

Mike

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike. Thanks for the reply

I would dearly love to have the names of all of your fragrant bruns, but especially the Dame de Noche, if it's no trouble.

I want to be sure I find that one I loved before. It wafted the scent around at dusk, just lovely. I've bought some, but haven't picked up a fragrance yet, and this time of year, the fragrance isn't there. So I'm hoping to be sure to have one that's lushly fragrant for next summer.

Thanks again.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bo - another thing i like about mangoes is the smell of their leaves when crushed. I think the scent is nice :o)
    I'll let you know when my orange jasmine has fruits so you can have a replacement; this plant is very easy to start from seeds. Maybe sometime next year since my plant hasn't been blooming lately.

The dwarf Ylang did well for a while, then it got scales. I removed all the leaves now it's a bit naked. It hasn't grown much this year. I did grab a non-dwarf ylang (the tree version) on ebay recently; it looks like a seedling in its first or second year; the tree is about 4-5 ft so hopefully it'll bloom in 1-2 years.

Mike - it must be nice to visit Logee's in person. Next time you are there look for a plant call Telosma Cordata; this plant has an extremely beautiful fragrance (and you can even eat the flower buds+young shoots) :)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here are my two plants:
    {{gwi:814617}}
    gigantea on the left and nitida on the right

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Toai, your bruns are very nice looking and healthy too! Do you know how often they flower?

Hi Mike, let me know next time you visit Logees. I am happy to pay for them. Thanks!

-Bo

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sadly my B Nitida got underwatered and never recovered; The Gigantea did recovery and has been doing great. Even with the lack of sunlight it only lost 1 leave since its arrival.

I've expecting an Americana from Accents (accentsforhomeandgarden) and will reorder the Nitida in the Spring.

Bo - I think Brunfelsia blooms Spring through Fall, but mainly in the Summer? (hope you are doing well, sorry for the late response! :))

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

About blooming times, I have several that have bloomed several times this winter under HID lights. The blooms come in clusters at the tips of branches that are semi-hard wood (brown, but not tough old wood and not soft green new wood). These are plants I got this summer. Clusters are 4-8 flowers at once.

This is what happened several years ago when I had bruns, too. However, the flowers don't seem to be fragrant in winter. It could be that they are fragrant at "dusk", as they are in summer, but I'm never down there when the lights go off.

So you can expect flowers while they are fairly young. Pinching tips to make them branch more would mean more flowers, I believe.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tip-pinching is a great idea, I think sometimes we forget to do that (or some of us don't have the courage to?) These plants are so attractive.. I love the look of my Gigantea.

Besides the B. Americana I'm also expecting a Densiflora.

And I'm waiting on Logee to stock up on Jamaicensis so I can grab it along with the Nitida replacement. I think that should complete my Brunfelsia collection :)

• yacheryl
    13 years ago

kemistry - I've never heard of B. densiflora.
    I have B. densifolia and love it.
    As long as the temp are close to 80,
    it is a continous bloomer.
    Here is central Florida, they grow into a tree 10+.
    Small, 5" long tubular blooms - IT IS my favorite!
    I have several different ones
    and none hold a candle to this one.
    The others are OK. They are fragrant.
    I just hate waiting a month - 6 weeks in between blooms........cheryl

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cheryl - I think it's that one; I just did a search on it, ToP-tropicals called it Densifolia while the place I ordered it at (kartuz) called it Densiflora.
    This plant came last week, though it arrived looking dehydrated so I'm currently trying to nurture it. The leaves are long and slender, very interesting.

I'm so looking to the sniffing time; it sounds wonderful from your comments.

• yacheryl
    13 years ago

That's denisfolia.
    Give it plenty of (sun)light,
    'cause they grow in full sun here.......cheryl

{{gwi:814619}}

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered an Americana from Accents but they sent me Brunfelsia lactea instead, (I guess they ran out of Americana)
    Does anyone know if Lactea is the same as Gigantea?

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judging from Ispahan's posting above it's the same plant. Oh well, the hunt for Americina is still on. Lol. :0)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    13 years ago

Ack! I just ordered an americana from Pepper's. I already have a lactea from Zone 9 Tropicals so I hope I don't get a plant I already have. Was it labeled lactea or are you judging by looks alone or what?
    I too have gone brunfelsia nuts this year and now have nitida, lactea and have gigantea on the way and hopefully americana!
    The funny part is I've never smelled any of them yet.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yup it' labeled lactea, they even wrote "sub." on the order receipt. I would suggest that you send them an email telling them to not substitute the plant if they are out, just in case. :)

All of my brunfelsias are still small, i cannot wait til the end of this year - they should be blooming by then. :)

13 years ago

Thanks for the info, kemistry. When our brunfelsias finally bloom we should compare notes to see which scent we like the most. ;)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

quick update: my first brunfelsia bloom!

Brunfelsia lactea, purchased from Accents:

{{gwi:814621}}

{{gwi:814623}}

smells so nice!!! Like a blend of gardenia and carnation.

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

That isn't fair mine is is a 3ft tall bush and hasn't put out a single flower, maybe too much shade. Your description of the fragrance sounds nice, I can't wait for mine to flower now.

12 years ago

I hear you, sambacmouse. Mine is growing vigorously but still no flower buds. Maybe it needs to be more pot bound before it flowers or maybe the cool temperatures in kemistry's apartment has brought on flowering. I know lactea is from high elevation forests at the summits of mountains in eastern Puerto Rico so it likes cooler weather.
    Maybe I'll start putting mine in the cooler basement at night just for the heck of it? I've done wacker things for plants! :)

-r

• kemistry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's so nice to finally have some fragrance, this year has been so cold so things grow slowly for me.

I'm sure they will bloom for you two soon! :). And Robert, please don't abuse the poor thing ;)

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

kemistry have you got your Brunfelsia jamaicensis yet? Brunfelsia jamaicensis is the one I hear people absolutely raving about in terms of fragrance. I would like to know if it is really that special.

12 years ago

You're a bad influence, sambacmouse! Now you've got me wanting B. jamaicensis. :) I have read that they can have root issues especially in the winter so hopefully I can resist the temptation of yet another brunfelsia.
    I can cosole myself by knowing that B. gigantea has gotten rave reviews for its scent so I'll just have to wait until mine blooms.

-r

• kemistry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My jamaicensis is still small. But if it does flower, I'll keep you posted on its scent. :)

Right now I have 5: lactea, gigantea, nitidia, jamaicensis and densifolia (densiflora).
    The nitidia seems to be struggling, I think I've kept it too dry.

• kemistry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

everyone.. my brun jamaicensis is blooming...
    The scent is very different from brunfelsia lactea's.. To my nose it has a strong mango scent with a bit of lavender in it. :)

{{gwi:814625}}

{{gwi:814627}}

{{gwi:814629}}

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Isn't that awesome Kemistry!

Where did you get this plant!? Did I miss it?

That is one lovely plant. I just love how it seems to have more flower than leaves!
    My lady of the of the night has flowered abundantly 6 times since the winter and has just finished. It seems to be setting more buds again. Funny thing about these plants, but they seem to like to flower more than grow.

Have a great day

Mike

• kemistry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike! :) Got this plant from Logee. The scent of this b. jamaicensis is amazing!!!
    Cannot wait for my other 'ladies' to flower. I love them! :o)

• fragrantgarden99
    10 years ago

Is b. Lactea the same as b. Gigantea? I recently saw a plant labeled as b. Lactea in full bloom but the color is blue, like a giant version of yesterday, today and tomorrow. It was deep blue and the flower is twice as big. But no fragrance at all. But then again it was day time. Wondering if it's mislabeled. The picture of b. Gigantea I saw on loge e's website us white. Wondering if b. Gigantea fades to deep blue. Thanks! Fg

10 years ago

Hi Fragrantgardener01,

Brunfelsia lactea has white blooms that age to a creamy yellow as does B. gigantea. They are two different species.

There are many brunfelsias that have flowers that start off purple then fade to lighter purple and then white.
    B. australis is the most famous of the lot for scent though I didn't find it worth the trouble and am sticking with B. gigantea and B. jamaicensis for now.

I highly recommend B. gigantea for scent however true to its name it gets freaking gigantic! :)

Kemistry recommends B. jamaicensis for scent.
    Mine still hasn't bloomed but I'm hoping it will this year.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 11:21

• fragrantgarden99
    10 years ago

Hi Robert:
    Thank you. Then what I saw labeled as b. Lactea definitely isn't it. It had giant blue flowers. Now I am wondering what it really is. Unlike the yesterday today and tomorrow, which had different colored flowers next to one another, this one had all blue flower and about 45 % bigger blooms.
    Fg

• fragrantgarden99
    10 years ago

Hi Robert
    Seems like what I saw maybe a new cultivar of b. Australis. With huge flowers. ExThank you. You had said it wasCn't worth the trouble. What trouble were you talking about?

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think he meant the scent of b australis isn't that nice comparing to gigantea for example.

I do recommend b gigantea and jamaicensis for scent. I still haven't smelled an americana yet but I heard it also has a superb smell. I love both the gigantea and jamaicensis. Gigantea flowers waft better than the jamaicensis flowers though :)

(Wow hard to believe this thread is over 3 years old and I started it! lol)

10 years ago

Ha! Yes. Kem is right as usual. ;)
    I thought the scent was not worth the trouble for an evergreen tropical that I have to grow in a pot.

And now I want B. americana again! :)

-Robert

10 years ago

I measured my Brunfelsia gigantea today and it's a little over 3 feet tall (about 40 inches). Of course I cut it way back last fall just to get it down in the basement!
    If I didn't love its scent so much I wouldn't struggle with such a beast. ;)
    I should probably switch it out of the urn shaped pot it's in to a pot with a wide flat bottom since the Oklahoma winds tend to topple such top heavy plants.

-Robert

10 years ago

Oh, almost forgot.

FG,

If the flowers had no scent I'm thinking your purple brunfelsia might have been a Brunfelsia pauciflora cultivar. They have some varieties with larger blooms than others however there are many brunfelsias with purple flowers with the common name of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunfelsia pauciflora

• fragrantgarden99
    10 years ago

Robert:
    Mystery solved! I Google some more based on your tips and found it almost certain to br b. Pauciflora"Magnifica". I hope it smells nice. It is certainly magnificent-looking. Hope it smells good too.
    Fg

10 years ago

Fg,

I'm not sure B.pauciflora has a scent or not.
    I've tried sniffing one labeled as B. pauciflora and detected no scent. Some sites do state it has a fragrance though.

Almost Eden's site doesn't mention fragrance but does have additional info.

Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: AE's Brunfelsia pauciflora 'Macrantha'

• smileclick
    8 years ago

I've read in scientific literature that Brunfelsia uniflora has a sweet fragrance, but never seen it for sale.

Looking at the posts it seems I'm not the only one that been sold a different Brunfelsia species to what was ordered. I have three white flowering ones, two of which were labelled jamaicensis. One was sold under the label jamaicensis 'White Magic', which stated in flowered in Autumn (but is flowering in mid Spring) and the next day saw a full grown one called australis 'White Magic' at the Brisbane Botanical Gardens (in Australia) covered in white fragrant flowers. The other one I have labelled as jamaicensis has much longer leaves ( 1"x3.5" long verses 1"x4.5" long). Does anyone know where to look to identify each Brunfelsia species?