Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

What idiot would order plants in the winter?

Oh, this idiot would.
Got some Logee's plants today. My own little Christmas gift to myself!
The big one is Brunfelsia australis and the little one is Passiflora serratifolia.
Will the brunfelsia have a sweet scent like jasmine or might it smell like a sugar-coated jawbreaker as Tovah Martin described?
Will the passion flower have a rich and pleasing floral fragrance or a wonderful intense fragrance?
Hopefully I'll find out next year!
Really thought I had wasted my money since they've been in the mail for days and it was 21 or so this morning.
Surprisingly they look great!
Fingers crossed they make it and bloom for me next summer. :)

-Robert

Comments (27)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Robert!!!

No idiots here!!! ;-)

They look beautiful!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Laura!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!
    I guess we're all just complete plant addicts here. ;)

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Whats up robert.

I see this is where everyone is hanging out these days, LOL

Laura how are you doing?

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!

I think we're all starting to get stir crazy from the cold and we've got at least 2 months to go! :)
    Are you still going to Southwood and the other nurseries? I felt proud of myself for not going on my holiday break but I still lurked around Lowe's looking at orchids and hoyas. Ha!
    How are your plumies in their greenhouse home?
    I've got one inside under lights with an inflo growing bigger every day.

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I know what you saying about stir crazy.

yeah I have been by southwood. more or less to walk around and look. I did get some veggie seeds from them last week to start in containers At the time they were the only ones who still had a display up. Just yesterday lowes started getting their displays up. Southwood has their tulip bulbs and some other bulbs 50% off if your grow those.

Plumies are doing good. Had a battle with spider mites but I think im winning. My devine is re-blooming on last years inflo which is pretty cool.

I have always admired the orchids at Southwood and lowes. Seeing the photos of yours and the others here is making me want one. I have never owned one so Im hesitant to try

How are you and all your wonderful plants doing?

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert, what idiot!?

You can put me on the top of the list. I actually have you beat. I DROVE to Logee's and bought myself a nice Jasmnine Nitelda..lol I think that is how you say that.

Let me ask you? Do you repot them into a different mix once you get yours, or do you leave them in their mix and those little pots until the spring? I'll explain why I asked when you tell me:-)

Mike..You better stop it with the Plumie thing, or I'll just about start some up again..lol
    Good to see you buddy and it's good to see you have the upper hand with the mites. You may never be 100 % sure they are gone, but you can be 100% sure they will not destroy your plants as I feel about mine.

Laura, hey..Come back..lol

Mike:-)

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi double Mikes! ;)

I and my plants are doing well...though my partner has forbidden me from ordering anymore plants (like that's gonna happen!).

Mike,

So you got a Jasminum nitidum? They are beautiful but not fragrant enough for me. Laugh.
    I could think of many plants that I'd be snatching up should I ever visit Logee's! You're so lucky to keep your babies in a warm car all the way home instead of in the mail like most of us have to deal with.
    Funny you should mention repotting them.
    I did repot the brunfelsia since its pot was freaking tiny.
    I've been trying a commercially available fast draining mix that I'm digging for those times I'm feeling lazy and not wanting to make up a batch of 5:1:1...Miracle-Gro Orchid Potting Mix. I used it for the brunfelsia and cuttings and so far so good! Might be something others might want to try for small repotting jobs. :)
    The passiflora can stay in its tiny pot until spring.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Yes, I am lucky Robert.. You know, it's the littlest things like that that one can take for granted!
    It never occurred to me that I have that advantage of a warm car. You are so right.
    You know what made me buy the Jasmine, a plant I never cared to much for? Believe or not, I have never whiffed a Jasmine I was particularly fond of except for this one. I smelled something so nice in the air where I was standing in there and asked what that smell was. The guy there pointed out that Jasmine, and that is all it took.lol Now, if you are telling me there is a Jasmine that whaffs better than that, I am all ears.

The reason why I asked is because, in the past, I could never keep a plant alive long enough in my home that liked that mix or the size of that pot. And let me tell you, they are small!

What I do is wash the mix off and plant right into my own mix, the 5..1.1. or like you said, a good mix when I don't feel like making it into a 4 inch pot. I can see a huge difference when I transplant them compared to those I just leave alone until the spring, if they make it.

Seems like you and I love the same place. I don't think it would be a good idea if we shopped together though. You and I would leave nothing left for our friends here to buy.lol

Heehee..Like anyone is going to stop you from buying another one.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Now you've got me worried about my passion flower! Laugh.
    I'll closely monitor it and if it seems to be going downhill I'll rinse and repot. :)

And I can't believe you haven't sniffed every flower at Logee's by now!
    Of course my fav jasmine is Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' but if I recall correctly you don't care for the sambac scents.
    Another sweet one you might want to sniff the next time you're there is J. azoricum.
    Dang it...now you've got me longing for summer again! Laugh.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

OK Guys!!!!

You all are making me want to "sin" and buy a Jasmine!!!

I am not far away Mike.. I am always around, but im in and out. You know how my schedule is.. Arrgg,, back to the real world now!!

Hi Robert!!! Im longing for summer too!

Mike from OK!!! Great to see you too! ;-)

Spider mites.. i am so over these nasty critters.. that is why i put all of my Plumies to sleep for the winter. If i keep them active duirng the winter under the T-5 lights, they go crazy.. My other plants under the lights have some problems with them, but not like the Plumies.. i don't understand why they attack certain plants..

Hope you had a wonderful New Year!!

Always love to see you around, along with all of my other friends!!!

Now.. you need to buy a fragrant orchid!!! LOLOLOL!!!

Take care all!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Arg is right Laura!

You know, you could always call in sick, after you have arrived at Lgan airport...lol
    Is it warm down there? It was 2 degrees this a.m. Even my poor fig trees in my usually warm shed forze solid. That worried me.
    I pulled the all out of there and put them in the shower and watered until the pots unfroze. I hate this weather!

Now, I caught spider mite webbing on my trees at work!!!!!!!!!
    I have to run to Home Depot tonight, get spray, and cut them all back in the 20 dgree weather tonight. Arg

Robert..Oh,but I think I have sniffed evry flower and bought just about every one of the ones I like.lol
    There is one there though that I can never seem to get the name of that you can whiff many feet away.
    In their cold room, my goodness, the smell of Osmanthus in the air is to die for! They have trees at least 20 feet high!

Yes, those little pots can be quite tricky and as far as the mix, it either dries out to fast in little pots like that, or takes to long to dry in bigger pots.

Now, LET THE SUMMER BEGIN already..lol

Do you realize it was 72 degrees in my greenhouse this a.m, and only 51 degrees in the house I dwell in? Yup. I think the next time I have to shower, I'll do that in the greenhouse.

Mike

• mersiepoo
    11 years ago

Just watch out for parasites and diseases, I got (and finally got rid of last year) thrips and spider mites from when I used to buy from them. I also had gotten some sort of black spots that attack succulents from logees when I got an epiphylium from them- it eventually infected my christmas cactus (that had been free of disease for 3 years, and had to destroy my dragonfruit plants that had been grown from seedlings. Whatever it was it would show up in the winter.

I'm still tempted to order from them anyway (they got such NEAT plants!) but if I do, the plants will be in quarantine for at least a year! I was so mad, I had to get rid of all my succulents. To be fair, they actually said they would 'make good', but I don't want plants that get some sunken black spots that make it look like a small bite was taken out of the plant.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Mersiepoo. I am glad you brought that up.

I have had to stay away from certain plants that will never buy again because of this disease issue.
    But, luckily, I can say that most of the plants I have bought there have done just fine.

I did have a horrible issue with pests through the mail, once so bad, I was sickened, so instead I went there in person and bought myself clean ones.

I would suggest that as with every other plant and at any other place I buy at this time of the year, to wash all the leaves off thoroughly, and if repotting, sink the whole plant under water for about 10 minutes, and or spray with a good insecticide and monitor closely.

As for disease, that's a hard one. I would definitely sperate any of those that show signs of leave rot or disease issues or treat for disease with a fungicide immediately.

Good to see you back friend!@

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hey guys, I survived the rose and orchid sprees..I think I'll order some hoyas now!! (yes, I entered yet another phase, I hope they are not fussy..) I washed all plants I could with soap and water today so I feel optimistic at least about the mites..About osmanthus fragrans do you think I could leave it outside?We don't get lower than 0C(32F) but my plant is about 50cm tall.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't get me started with hoyas! I'm trying not to become obsessed with this genus but of course it's hard not to!
    I've been impatiently waiting for my Hoya obscura 'Major' to bloom ever since it arrived back on 10/14/11. It's supposed to have a strong spiced citrus scent. I also have Logee's Hoya australis subspecies australis. It also hasn't yet bloomed. I've read it has a gardenia like scent but I've also heard vanilla/chocolate which I probably wouldn't like. Laugh.
    I didn't care for Hoya lacunosa's scent. It seemed too generic floral to me but I'm picky. ;)
    The other day I came across Hoya pubera (which one person on GW said was incorrectly labeled and is really H. nummularioides). The info I found online says the flowers are very fragrant with a sweet, heavy, musky aroma which blooms in the fall from September through November. The site also says it can tolerate temperatures up to 110 in the summer which can definitely happen outside during Oklahoma summers!
    I'm also wanting Hoya lanceolata bella which is supposed to have a sweet, candy like scent and Hoya odorata (aka cembra) which is supposed to have a citrus like scent.
    Okay...so I'm not mildly obsessed...I'm full on obsessed! :)

As for your osmanthus I'd say as long as it's protected from cold winds (maybe under an overhang?) and you've mulched the top of the pot it should be fine but others with more info might give you better advice but at 20inches tall it seems like a fairly large plant.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert! What's up with that? Would you believe that I have 3 Hoya's coming my way as we speak and I also received two others last week?

Now, I don't know how you remember the names of them unless you are looking at the tag. I am so bad at remembering.lol

Now as for the Austalis? Just what you described! It has a vanilla/chocolate scent to it. I LOVE it. Let me see if I can get a picture of it. It was just a cutting th eyear before last.
    There is a link at the bottom that will show what what awaited me last summer! It was lovely and smelled heavenly!

I know I am due for a Hoya Odorata and Limonica...
    Now, because of you always enabling me, I must now look up the Bella one you speak of..:-)

As for the Osmanthus, as long as the pot does not freeze, or should I say roots, it will be just fine.

Mike

Here is the link Robert!:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Australis

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 12:08

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!

I have a folder crammed with print offs with my notes on them. I have to do this to keep track of all the plants I have or had. Laugh.
    Quit teasing us with general info about hoyas coming your way. We all know there are tons of hoya species and hybrids out there! Give us plant names! Laugh.
    Thanks for the H. australis notes. I'm hoping I'll dig its scent if mine ever blooms. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh Robert!

But you are so good at growing just about anything, that this HOya is going to be a sinch for you!

It is the easiest Hoya I have ever gotten to grow at such a young age and one of the most fragrant! It continually blooms for months...And, get this, it is swelling to bloom again...Did you see how many blooms were on mine?

Ok, it's time to get my act together and start naming things for you..lol
    That is my new goal for 2013..To label all my plants. I did 3 the other day.lol

On your part...GREAT JOB!

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! I almost bought some copper name plates at a nursery today just so I'd know the names of all my plants. ;)
    Did a search and came up with this fragrant hoya thread on GW...not that us fragrance nuts need anymore info but of course I took notes of the many different fragrances. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: fragrant hoyas

• fenius
    11 years ago

Thanks for the hoya info! Now my list is getting longer...
    Mike, the plant in the right lower corner in your beautiful greenhouse is mitriostigma axillare perhaps?? If yes, what does it smell like to you? I'm thinking of reordering it as I killed my first without getting it to bloom

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert, I think you get your jollies out of driving me crazy for more plants! lol3
    I ordered another one now because of that thread..lol
    Once I get it I will post a pic and yes, the name!

Fenius, right!? My list is getting longer to and so is my wallet.
    I am not sure of what pic you mean...:-(
    If you mean African Gardenia, well then, you need another!lol
    It does not smell like the typical gardenia, but almost a spicy heavier smell. You either like it or you don't. But not clean and sweet, but very nice anyway.

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

ok thanks! I was talking about the plant in your hoya australis thread, in a couple of the photos there is a blooming plant with wavy leaves that looks like it in the lower right corner...oh,well I guess I'll get it again this spring anyway!!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

FENIUS...DIR..LOL

That is what you say! I call it the African Gardenia. I have two and when I cut them I can try and root you a cutting. It's pretty easy to do;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

FENIUS...DIR..LOL

That is what you say! I call it the African Gardenia. I have two and when I cut them I can try and root you a cutting. It's pretty easy to do;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

FENIUS...DIR..LOL

• fenius
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike! You're so thoughtful! And I 'll try and root you a new samoan gardenia when it starts growing again!!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

No problem!

Fenius, please, remember to rmind me in March so I can try and get some cuttings going because by then, the sun will be much stronger:-)

Mike