Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintersweet Blooming (Chimonanthus)

Posted by michaell Spokane6b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 23:05

It opened it's first flower on November 30th. Now, there are enough open that I can catch it in the air as I approach the shrub. If you haven't smelled Chimonanthus, imagine this: 2 parts Arabian Jasmine (sambac), 1 part Juicy Fruit Gum, and a dash of black pepper!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintersweet Blooming (Chimonanthus)

Another picture of it...you can see the buds. It has been very slow to lose it's leaves. Hall's honeysuckle is wandering into it.Photobucket

o

Beautiful pics! Thank you for sharing. I've read that Wintersweet has a Sambac Jasmine scent. Really makes me want to make room for one! I also like your honeysuckle nearby to have scented blooms when your Wintersweet is not blooming.

-Robert

o

your plants are way ahead of ours this year.
here is a photo of mine which wasn't in full bloom until feb., 2011. it has grown to over 10' tall and most of the flowers are above my "nose" level so i don't get much of the scent! :-)
Wintersweet

o

I think this is a true "winter" blooming shrub that needs cold to get it going. Alabama probably doesn't cool down enough until mid-winter. My plant is slightly ahead of last year. We've been in the 50F to 20F range for almost two months, with a few short spells where we stay below freezing during the day. By the way, the color of your flowers is much more intensely yellow than mine. AND, you can prune your shrub hard in early spring to encourage growth down low, and then pinch the growing tips after each shoot produces its third or fourth pair of leaves. You will end up with a more compact shrub with thousands of flowers!

o

This amazing plant love cold and freezing weather

o

Nice flowers. A little bit of jealous... I wish I could grow it outdoor just like you guy do.

o

I post lots of photos on flickr.com, search "keyecsc" will see and give some comments, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here