Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

blooming in december.. hi to all of my friends.. new to this for

Hi There Everyone!!

Myy dear friend{{gwi:807}} Mike wanted me and has been trying to get me here for awhile, so i finally decided to check this forum out. Much to my surprise, i have noticed many friendly names and wonderful people that i have chatted with throughout the forums.

Robert... MAHALO NUI LOA!!! My friend!!!

Who would know that my Plumeria buds would be hear!! I am so happy to see you!!!

Nice to see you still have blooms in November~~

The only fragrant bloom that i have right now is an Orchid called Onc Sweet Baby.. Here she is...

{{gwi:54150}}

I have many Plumeria that are very fragrant, but are all looking like sticks at this moment.. maybe i will post later , just to give those who don't ever see the crazy ways of us plumeria nuts protecting many and i mean many Plumeria over the winter. My husband claims that there is a clause in Divorce courts that claims he can divorce me for to many Plumies.. Oh, well... I guess i will miss him!! LMAO!!!

Thank you MIke for taking me here and hi to all of my friends{{gwi:807}} that i see at other threads..

Hope to chat with you all soon!

P.s. MY Orchid has bloomed for three years now and it smells like Chocolate, but at times.. it loses its fragrance.., strange?

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 23:46

Comments (112)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike has a hint of one... I can hear it when we talk on the phone! It's definite east coast, as opposed to my more Chicago accent!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Well, as most true new englanders won't admit it - "I ain't got no accent, it's the rest of youz who talks funny." ;)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Went down into the basement to refill the sunflower seeds container for the birds and to my surprise discovered my denuded California Sunset Plumeria had several flowers waiting for me. I picked them and am enjoying their coconut/peaches scent. :)

-Robert

• greendale
    11 years ago

Laura:

Definitely let me know the places and species of Plumeria coming spring - I am already hooked. :) I'd love to have some cuttings - but I think I better wait until I can handle the rooted cuttings first. Do not want you go through all the trouble send me cuttings but end up they are dying. Maybe next next spring? :)

I saw you have palms in your yard too - did not know they are hardy in VB. I just got a Sago Palm (not a real palm though - Cycas revoluta) not too long ago - love the fact it's a plant from the Dinosaur era - how cool is that?

Thanks
    -Greendale

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert!!!! Wowowowa! You had to describe the scent of that plumeria, right?
    Now, I must get one of these..Anything that smells like Coconut and Vanilla is on my list. Now to find one:-( Beautiful buddy! Like whipped cream.

Hey Greendale...I would love to meet up with you and Rosey for a day to town at Logee's..Yes, let's work something out for the spring. Maybe others would like to join us too?

Laura, see what you started?...lol I can't wait until you come back-)

Mike

Um....I have been told that I have quite the accent for a New Englander..lol. I never notice it though..

Rosey, I am on! Logee's it is at tHE end of March, ok?

Beetle....Thank you so much for sharing your beauties..Oh, I can only imagine the smell. Yum! I love the colors too:-)

Now, if we can just get Jodik to get hers to flower! What do you say Jodik, think we can do it?:-)

Laura..You have such a big heart and a generous one at that! You are a gem and that is why I am so happy you are here with us. You and a few others make me :-))))))))))))))))

Greendale...What color is that C.C? I love it. It almost looks orange! Now, where in the world did you get it? If from e-bay, I would get one in a heart beat!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Sure we can, Mike... as long as the goats leave it alone if I bring everything outside in spring! I do have that small greenhouse to work with, but it's so dry and hot in warmer weather. It could use another fan, and lots more water... or it turns into a mite and white fly haven!

I also have a Plumie I need to bring into bloom next season... maybe you guys can help with that, too!

That's a lovely cream colored Plumeria!

How about it, Rosey! It's everyone else who talks different! LOL!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Mike, Greendale - and anyone else in the New England area - looks like we're planning a Garden Web plant shopping adventure for the end of march (Barring blizzards, and other natural disasters) - Let's hope that they have an abundance of tiny bonsai plumies, the day we go. :D

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Mike.. You are so nice to say such kind comments, Thank you my friend!!!

Robert.. Hey!!! Love the California Sunset.. even in cooler weather she still is beautiful. I am always amazed at the coloration difference in these blooms during the year. The color now to the colors of the CS this summer are unbelievable. She is always pleasing!!!

Jodi... Robert's CS is a beauty now...but, she is one stunner in the summer with the heat!!! She has more orange and pink color then.. just wait for Robert to post. I'm hoping my CS will bloom again next summer.. Ill keep my fingers crossed!!! ;-)

Sounds like a fun trip to the Garden Center!! Blizzads, rain, snow, ice will not keep you guys away!! ;-)

We will all be waiting to see what you all bring home... Love to see the "Loot" LOL..

Jodi.. I think it is the ones who live in differt states that have the "accents" LOL.. isn't that right ya'll?

Have a great day everyone!!

Greendale.. i will be happy to share places to purchase trees. Spring will be the best time to order, especially if you are in the northeast!! I can post them now.. or let you know later.. Just let me know!

Laura

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Laura, the rest of them may be that courageous to drive in bad weather, but not me. I'm a wimp - first sign of snow and I bundle up and don't drive anywhere. I'm on the 'T" so I can go places in town; but I would describe myself as a weekend driver (and fair-weather) only. I didn't care so much when I was younger. I'd drive just about anywhere and speed ... but, one to many hydroplaining, or 360 degree slides in foul weather. As I said, the older I get, the more wimpy. :)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Aw, man! I sure wish I lived closer to you guys! I'd love a "team trip" to Logee's, or anywhere with gardens or plants! Mike, you'll just have to take lots of pictures when you guys do go in spring!

Rosey, I don't drive anymore, period... so I can totally understand where you're coming from! I will in an emergency, but I'd sure prefer not to. I'm a little gun shy since the accident we were in several years ago. It's not every day you wake up and wonder what the heck you're doing in a hospital bed! Would you believe I used to hold a valid CDL and drive an 18 wheeler from coast to coast with my ex? Yes, it's true... but not anymore. Now, I make a much better passenger!

Laura, I think from coast to coast there are many different accents, but it's never the person speaking that thinks they have one! Whenever we meet people from different areas, they always ask if we're from Chicago! LOL! I guess I have a Midwest accent!

I was wondering whether the amount of light might have a bit of an influence on flower color for Plumeria, like it can for other plants. The colors you describe sound beautiful, and you can kind of see a hint of orange, maybe, in the photo! I can't wait to see some of them next season in full bloom!

I hope the big Plumie I have blooms... I can't remember which name it is right now... it's in a 2 gallon pot, so it has gained some size, and it seems to like the amount of root room. I just hope I can bring it to flower! It had a small issue last spring with aphids, I believe they were, but I took care of that... and it's languishing in a cool stairwell... it seems relatively happy, and is holding on to a few leaves yet.

Since we got a little colder here, the last rose to bloom outside is done. It's stopped opening buds, and everything looks a little frost bitten.

I hate winter... LOL!

You guys all have a great evening... I'm pooped from a long day of working and running around getting errands done... I'm off to collapse in my rocking chair!

• greendale
    11 years ago

Robert, what do you put the plumeria flower in the plate for - you are not gonna to eat them, are you? I bet they must taste good with the coconut/peaches scent. :)

Mike, Sure for the logee's trip. Let's see if we can synchronize a date. The TC I have is a regular one, I got the cutting from my friend and he got his plant from Home Depot - So I think it should not be a rare one. It not orange - it a salmon with a little purple in between. I can share a cutting with you if you like it.

Laura, was thinking I don't endure the pain of tempting a whole winter if I wait to spring for the plumeria information. but what the hell, send all the places that you know about plumeria trees. :) 2 more question - does the stick room has to be dark (no light) at all. What the temp (lowest?) you keep for the stick room.

I have to refrain myself to look at these pretty picture again - more plants are jump on my wish list now. :)

This post was edited by greendale on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 21:19

11 years ago

greendale,

Ha! They would be lovely on some dessert, eh? ;)
    It's funny you mentioned your wish list...try as I may I can't help myself but am adding more and more plants to it.
    Hopefully I'll stick with smaller plants like orchids that I can hang inside come winter! :)
    Laura has a wealth of info when it comes to plumies.
    She was even kind enough to go out and sniff Kimi Moragne at night to let me know how wonderful it smells.

-Robert

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

"I'll be right back, honey... I have to go out and sniff this plant for someone!" LOL, Laura! That's too cute!

Though, I can imagine how wonderful your yard smells during the blooming season! Rather like the rose scents that waft across the yard, here! At times, intoxicating! I just love it when the larger Buck shrubs come into bloom, or some of the more heavily scented old garden types! Even the Lilies throw off a wonderful scent!

Heavy sigh... now I just have to wait for spring again!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good Evening all!!!

I know it is late, but i wanted to stop by and say hello!!!

Jodi.. As far as heat and light.. You are spot on to the coloration fsctors in the makeup of a perfect Plumeria Bloom. They love the heat and the long summer days. I keep mine that are used to the sun in direct sumshine all summer. The ones that are new and or just potted up from rooted cuttings, i acclimate them first to the sunshine and then transfer into more direct full sun.

Greendale.. I will start my list for you and i will say that my friend who i wanted to contact from CA had given me her emsil addy for her new business. Please let her know that i sent you. ok? Im not rec anything, but she will be helpful to you and knowing that i sent you will make her day!!! Her name is Wendy. I will post a list later for you.

You question on the temp in the back room is usually arounf 50 degrees in the winter. I turn off all of the vents and keep the blinds closed. They don't receive any sunshine that i can possibly give to them. They are all to rest until March rolls around and then they start to green up at the tips and then ill open blinds and give them a little water. Most Plumeira growers keep water from them all winter, but i am one who gives just a little each month. Imm talking just a little, one gallon container receives about a 1/2 cup and a five gallon gets about one cup. i even dilute my Foliage Pros by 1/4 and still give them some nutrients during the winter. some do, some dont.. i do!!! LOL.. I have lots of blooms and they are being thought of at this time for the development of blooms for the following year.

I have lots of Plumeria.. i stoped counting at 100 plus, so hubby won't know how many i truly have!!! LMAO!!

I know,, its bad...

Oh Jodi.. It is true about visiting outside to smell the Kimi Moragne for Him!!! I was so please to do that for him... i think i loved standing outside at 2 am smelling my trees.. This is why we do it!!! We all understand the we have to catch the scent at it's best!!! I see the little pollinators outside when i flash the flashlight on my trees.. i love going outside when i come home to see what has shanged.. LOL MY neighbors wonder about 'Laura" they know when i am home... just look for the spotlight around 2 am.. LOL

Anytime RObert.... ANytime!!!!

Good night all!!

Laura

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I love the scent that comes off my oriental lillies. :) there's no gentle wafting - it's really very intense when they're in bloom. :)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

so, I went to my neighbor's on Wednesday, and she gave me one of her plants. It had seen better days, but not recently. I took it home thinking it was dying. I did an immediate transplant - the roots were almost completely gone from goodness only knows how long it's been overwatered, and on top of that, she'd given me a clipping that had been sitting in water. it looked so sad and drowned - and yet, the whole plant seems starved, the leaves straggly and thin. I know she's a succulent - but you'd never think it on seeing her.

and the neighbor had complained that she neither of her cacti had flowered in a long time... I bit my tongue and was happy to take this one home to play doctor.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rosy!!!

I think your "patient" is in good hands!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

With all the cats and various pests and moles and whatnot that dig and tunnel in my gardens, I'm surprised that some Lilies actually make it from year to year! But I have one Lily that grows on the north side of a garage building, gets afternoon sun, and I think it began as an Easter Lily that someone didn't want, or something... I planted it just to fill the space and get it out of the pot... and this thing gets HUGE white trumpet shaped flowers with the most amazing scent every summer!

The plant, itself, is taller than I am... so I imagine its bulbs, or corms, must be giant! It' beginning to grow extra stems, so I know it's multiplying underground. It's the size and scent that amaze me every year!

Laura, I know what you mean, though... I sometimes stand outside star-gazing at night, in my pajamas... people driving by must think I'm nuts! Or, when I take the dog out for her last time before bed, I'll stand out there in the yard and just breathe in the rose scent... or whatever scent hits me! Unfortunately, that scent occasionally is from the dog! LOL!

But, really... it's nice to be in the gardens any time of day or night, whether it's seeing hummingbirds by day, hearing owls by night... it's peaceful and nice.

Rosey, my Mom used to water houseplants once a week whether they needed it or not, and then let them sit in big saucers of water until it evaporated. It drove me nuts! But I'd quietly empty the saucers, get rid of the dead growth, and try to help keep them alive without saying anything. Nice score with the cacti thing, and I know you'll have it plumped up and happy in no time!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

well, I can only hope I will have better luck with the cacti - than is currently happening with my honeysuckle, the night jasmine, and possibly even the mandavilla. the night jasmine, I noticed a week ago, had a web growing around the top of one of her stalks. since then, I've tried to check the leaves for pests, some of the leaves are seeming to dry out as if from within - and, then others, when I touch them, fall off in my hands. The plant stems are still very healthy green - but, there are already 2 stems out of 4 that are leaf-less.

the honeysuckle (same room, different window) seems to have some sticky issue going on with her leaves - and I pull those off - but, there's only so many I can take off the plant... I'm debating whether I should cut the plant down to a one footer and put the plant in a cold and mostly dark room for the winter - see if dormancy will take care of whatever this stickiness is.

And, the mandavilla - every time I water her - 2 or 3 of her leaves turn yellow - and splotched. what's up with that? She's gotten to be rather tall, but her winter growth is sparse leaved enough - she doesn't need to lose her greenery just because I'm giving her a small drink. I'm wondering if she's root-bound - which is a possibility since I had put her, in September in a 6 inch pot. I'd been hoping that they'd last the winter season in smaller pots and stay happy.

and, yes, the new cactus is looking much better. Amazing what new soil, and 16 hour lights will do for a plant. :)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

You could be experiencing a combination of issues, Rosey, dependent upon the medium you're using, your watering/feeding habits, and a plethora of other seasonal limitations... keep in mind that indoor winter conditions are usually much drier, with regard to humidity, and tiny pests like spider mites and whatnot love those drier conditions.

My personal preference is re-potting everything I get into a custom mixed medium that promotes sharp drainage and excellent aeration, and I often employ the wooden skewer method of testing for needed moisture. It's rather surprising how moist the center of a rootball/pot can be, even when the surface looks and feels dry. I've also taken to giving everything a granular systemic treatment for insects before I bring anything indoors for winter.

My own indoor conditions are very dry, with very low humidity during winter. Grouping my plants seems to help a little bit.

Without pictures, it's difficult to tell what the exact issue is... but it sounds like a combination, stemming from indoor winter conditions and culture.

Spider mite infestations often go unnoticed until they're fairly rampant, which is why I employ the use of a preventative. I've had that issue before, and I've lost plants to the mites.

Many plant types have difficulty transitioning from the relative humidity of outdoors, to the lower humidity of the average home in winter, where a heating unit/furnace dries the air. Lowered light levels also contribute, causing plants to drop some leaves, and pests are also a consideration this time of year.

The causes could be one or many, Rosey. I hope you're able to compensate, and keep your plants happy until spring. If you have pictures, I'm sure everyone would be happy to help diagnose any issues, and get you through the winter.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Just making sure everyone is having fun here and getting to know each other.

I love it and all the great info being offered.....

Hoping all is well)

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Except for the weather, which I have no control over, everything's just peachy, Mike!

I recently delved a little deeper into learning about the two surviving orchids I have, and found that the Dendrobium hails from Australia, while the Ansellia is from the Cape region of Africa. I also did more reading on the Epiphyllum Cacti I have, and am now more familiar with the winter habits of such plants. And with my poor memory, it never hurts to refresh the information from time to time! LOL!

But seriously... just having fun viewing everyone else's lovely plants, and learning more about them for the future possibility of growing such items, myself!

And how are you doing on this windy, rainy morning, Mike?

11 years ago

I've been thinking about starting a 2013 wish list thread however I'm afraid that Mike might buy up all the plants I want. Laugh.

jodik,

Are any of the Epiphyllums you have fragrant? I've been doing some research and have a few on my wish list for next year. :)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

what, there are fragrant epiphylums now?? just when I was to become a saint!.. everytime in this forum I acquire a new need!
    Anyway, just dropping in my most fragrant december bloom, tabernaemontana africana..
    Btw, Robert if u don't start the thread, I know I will!

11 years ago

Oh, fenius, there are plenty of fragrant Epiphyllum species and hybrids (you can tell what I was doing at work instead of working)! My wish list is growing larger and larger. :)

Your Tabernaemontana is beautiful!
    I once grew Tabernaemontana holstii. The flowers were huge and very fragrant! I didn't really care for the scent but I still made all my guests smell it. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Jodi.. had to laugh that you like to go outside in your PJ's too! I finally gave up on the neighbors seeing me in my nightgown.. especially all hours with a flashlight!! I feel they have seenn me now.. so why hide anymore!! :-) I just try and hurry if i see aanyone outside or wait for DH to say..."laura..." LOL!!!

They are like family now right? LMAO!!! Im at the point in my life.. im not worried.. im sure they aren't either!!!

Rosy, sounds like spider mites.. I would use the Bayer 3 in 1 to spray for mite control. I have had issues myself lately too !!! Arggg... good luck!!!

Robert.. Start that wishlist.. Love to see what i want!! LOL... hope you and yours has a wonderfull cHristmas!!! : )

OH.. Mike.. i think i have sinned.. Please forgive..

OK.. i will tell!! I went to the garden center with my mom yesterday, only to buy some decorations that i don't need!! So, i really wasn't interested in the decorations and "stumbled" upon the fragrant orchids.. Well, one jumped into my cart and begged me to take her home. I HAD TOO! She was beautiful, blonde and smelled like an ALmond.. OH.. i love this beauty!! Her name is Onc Tsuki Marguerite. She smells like an ALmond and Mmmmmmmm, she smells wonderful!! Merry CHristmas to me!!! LOL...

Fenius.. love your pics!!! What is the scent like?

Hope all iis well and getting ready for a relaxing Christmas or holiday in whatever you all enjoy!!! Take care,

Laura

• fenius
    11 years ago

Thanks guys!
    I think t. holstii is very similar to africana if not the same as some say, the scent reminds me of some combination of stefanotis, lilium and clove & it is very strong.. I'm looking for oncidium tsuki now laura! I love all almond smelling plants and am really bumped that I cannot find aloysia virgata anywhere!
    Rosy, honeysuckle can be cut to the ground in the winter with no problem; mine loses almost all leaves too as it can be deciduous depending on the zone.. I'm off to prepare my new year wish list!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

MY GOSH!!!

Here we go again...I need, I need all the new fragrant plants discussed here that I have not aquired yet! More sinning now that the end of the world has not come!

Fenius..I have one of those Africana plants and all it did was grow tall all summer.
    How long before you think I see wonderful blooms like yours? It's beautiful I can't wait until mine does this. Yahoo.

Laura, don't get me started..lol Now, I am on the prowl for one of them orchids this morning and I won't eat until I find one..lol
    Why is it that so many bump into the very plants I spend days looking for at their local stores?
    Now, not only did you put me on high alert, but you also have be very depressed and excited at the same time..lol

You little bugger you..lololol

Jodik..Hello! It's not raining here yet, but when it does, it is suppose to pour within a couple of hours. I am so grateful it's warm and that I don't have to shovel it all!
    Look at you go reading up on your orchids! Yahoo..I love the fact that you are now excited about these plants! Have you seen Josh's yet. It just opened and it beautiful...
    Hope you are well and we shall chat soon:-)

Robert, how are you? Really? I hope I don't have the same reaction as you if mine should ever flower.
    Now, about my buying up all the plant before you do. TO LATE..lol

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

There are no neighbors to see me, Laura, except the occasional car that drives by, one of the perks of country living! There will be no roaming the yard after dark in my pajamas until spring gets here, though. As of last night, we're officially in winter mode. What began as a mild, rainy morning turned into a frigid blizzard with high winds, snow, and very low temperatures.

I made a mad dash to get a few items stashed in the empty garage... the potted Japanese Maples, a Kiwi vine, some potted Peony trees, a few roses in smaller pots, etc... but the majority of potted material is on its own out there. I just can't move it all in by myself anymore. Most of it is grouped tightly, and blanketed with autumn leaves. It should fare just fine.

The fast change in weather was horrible, though. I'm never ready for winter... but even less so this year. The power faltered a few times, and we thought we might have to start up the generator, but it miraculously stayed on. A large tree limb or two hit the roof, scaring the heck out of me! It was quite a storm!

Today, the sun is out, but it's extremely cold. I was hoping for a quick melt, but it's not looking good. Not my favorite weather or time of year.

The Epi Cacti I have are too small yet to bloom, I believe, though I don't think they are types with any scent... except for a night blooming variety I have. That one is supposed to be scented, but it's too small to produce flowers at this time. The few pots I have limp along in conditions they really don't favor, so it will take them longer to reach maturity, I think.

I miss the floor to ceiling bay windows I had at our last house... with a south-westerly exposure lightly shaded by a huge oak, my plants just loved it. There was also a glass enclosed sun porch for summering everything. Here, I have two relatively small window alcoves and a desert-like environment to deal with.

Mike, I hope you guys aren't in line for this winter storm... but it is moving in an easterly direction. I would get ready for some cold weather... just in case it doesn't play out before it reaches your area!

I've wanted to grow more orchids for years, now... but I just don't have the right environment to offer. I've killed untold Phals, and a host of other plants said to be "easy to grow in the average home". This little Den and the Ansellia are the only two that seem able to survive the conditions.

Josh's orchid is gorgeous... I only wish I had those same indoor conditions! I have been doing a lot of reading and searching, and I have a short wish list ready for spring. There are a few mini-Catts, inter-bred types, and others that are said to tolerate drier conditions... I thought I'd start there, and see what works for me. I have until spring to save my pennies for a small order.

I miss having the room and conditions to grow a wider variety of plants. One of these days...

It's probably blasphemy, but scent isn't a requirement in the plants I grow... it's a bonus! I look more for plants able to thrive in poor conditions, and it seems as though the tender Amaryllids I grow fit the profile. Unfortunately, very few are scented. I do have one that smells of lilies, which is nice... it's resting right now. I didn't notice a scent on the Den when it bloomed, but the flowers are so tiny that I didn't expect much scent.

Nice pictures! Very pretty flowers!

Hope everyone has a nice Christmas!

• fenius
    11 years ago

oncidium tsiku is hard to find apparently!!
    Mike I have mine for a little less than a year, I bought it in january from hawaii as a rooted cutting with 3 pairs of leaves and I kept it inside all year for lack of space!.. and in a rather small pot for its size..
    Merry christmas guys!!

11 years ago

Happy holidays, everyone!
    I was pleasantly surprised to see my Brunfelsia 'Isola' blooming this late in December.
    So far the scent hasn't really grabbed me.
    Sorta has a medicinal scent which kind of reminds me of cold cream.
    But hey, it's winter and I'll take what I can get. Laugh.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert, did the scent get better by now?

It's lovely and what a wonderful thing to have in this gloomy weather.
    The leaves on mine always turn s bit yellow and many fall off in the darkest part of winter. They hate being indoors..Do yours?

Many thanks for sharing.

Jodik..Blasphemy? lol You got it..lol
    By the way, although your Chalice Vine may not have a fragrance just yet, it's beautiful and so are your beautiful orchids!
    Funny, the storm you spoke of has passed as rain, but I will stay take it as a warning for the next three headed my way and temps in the 20's by day by next week. YUK! I think I'll hide in my greenhouse.

Fenius..It's beautiful and I love it. Nice job!

Mike:-)

11 years ago

Hi Mike!

The scent is a little better. I've started to notice it has a fragrance in the late afternoon around 3 or so as well.
    Still dig B. gigantea the best but I know I need to sniff B. americana and B. jamaicensis (Kemistry's fav).
    They're both on my wish list for next year! Laugh.

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

merry christmas, everyone.

It's been a very quiet week. I am at work today, and coughing - and feel lucky that I may be the only person in today so that I don't make anyone else ill.

Yes, got a cold over christmas, not fun - but I'm healing. I hope by the weekend, I'll be back to my regularly good form.

Not a lot going on with my plants - I went to visit my neighbor Miss Ruthie, and begged her for a clipping of her xmas cactus... and she let me take some.

So, I brought them home, got them in dirt and am hoping they'll root. She's had her plant for about 80 years. It's a small thing - because she keeps it in a west window room, but her curtains are always closed.

These clippings I've taken from her, just wont know what to make out of my plantlights. I never thought I'd have these cactuses - and now - this year - suddenly, I have 3.

my night-jasmine - is leaf-less. I need to go shopping for some bayer and quite soon, if there'll be any hope for this plant to ever bloom again.

my downstairs neighbors gave me a lovely lily type planter kit. comes with coco-husk and all - just need to plant and water. I haven't read the directions yet on when I should do this, I'm suspecting that they are supposed to be planted in time to bloom at Easter?

I was even more thrilled by the planter pot than necessarily by the bulbs... me and strange shaped porceline pots ... I may end up at the end of the first bloom - put those bulbs in the ground, and put my chinese perfume tree in that square pot...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert, they do get HUGE and I actually had to stick one in my basement with less than ideal light and it's still growing like crazy!
    The older sun leaves have all fallen off to be replaced with a more delicate soft leaves. but is still plugs on:-)

Rosey, saving your money for the big plant trip? Have you been drooling all over the plants in the Logee's catalog? lol

I am so sorry to hear you have been ill:-(. It will get better one you drink some good ole fresh orange juice squeezed from the oranges fro m your most fragrant orange tree..Oh, you say you don't have one yet? Well, stick that on your Logee's wish list.."-)

I know, spider mites are quite attracted to this plant! In fact, I just bout one a couple weeks ago that was infested with mites that I had to treat 3 x thus far. So far so good. Many new leaves that are not soft, distorted, or yellow.

That plant, all you have to do is get a make a nice bottle of good soapy water with some kind of oil, in this case I use Neem, and squirt away every other week.

Many wishes for your recovery and a happy day to all!

Mike:-)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

mikey, Mikey, mikey... it's not all about plants at christmas (oh what am I saying?) ... my neices and nephew would be quite upset with me if I spent their present money on plants. I spent the last days before xmas in shopping mode - bought up some clothes, and some toys, and finished painting their gift boxes.

On Christmas eve, cold settling in, I packed up the presents- got them in the car so there'd be one less worry... but, then the cold got considerably worse so that I didn't go see them.

Yes, everyone is sad - but, at least I kept the germs to myself.

I've come to the realization, that the only way to beat a cold is to drown it. Tea, water, more tea... with the attempt of washing all those nasty germs out of my system. This is the first year that I haven't medicated a sickness - thinking instead that I don't want to add the chemicals into my body.

And, while I'm not enjoying the nose blowing routine - otherwise, I seem to be surviving.

But, come tomorrow, if my nose keeps going - I may rethink this chemical free idea and buy some dayquil/nightquil.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Ladies and Gents!
    I heard that this is the place to be! ;-)

Well, let's see, a couple things are blooming this December....Orchid, Pink Lemon, and Christmas Cactus!
    A couple different views of my Orchid at sunrise the other morning -

Some variegated Pink Lemon blooms, scenting the living room fantastically!

And lastly my Christmas Cactus....yeah, a couple days late ;-)

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh!!!

It is so nice to see you here!! Welcome!!!

Always love to see friendly people like you here on these wonderful forums.. Mike encouraged me to come over and check it out...i'm glad i did!!!! Great group of people..

I love your
    varigated pink lemon blooms!!! I wish that i could smell them now!!! :-) I can only imagine the scent..

Your Christmas Cactus looks wonderful too! So lush and ready to push more blooms soon?

Ok,, You know i love that Orchid.. is this the "named" Orchid that i think it is? How special and it is the best looking one that i have seen in a long time. So blessed!!!

I told Mike that i had sinned when i went shopping at the store for Christmas. I had to buy this beautiful Orchid that jumped into my cart and "begged" me to take her home.. What was i to do? I TOOK HER HOME!!! HA!!!

Figured, it was time to put one thing in all of my baskets for myself this year.. i do feel bad, but..not really!!! :-)

Here she is.. ONC Tsuki Marguriete.. It has the fragrance of ALmonds.. Smells lovely!!! I just hope she stays happy here at my house...

Rosey.. Hope you are felling better? I have had the cold and cough over the holidays too. I even had a dose of the "adult" cough medicine and posted to another forum and they couldn't tell what i was saying.. lol i told them i was taken by Mayans that night of the 21st!! LMAO

Please feel better..

This is for you Mike!! Merry Belated Christmas and i hope you and you family have a wonderful New Year too! ;-)

Hi Robert.. beautiful blooms as always!!!

Fenius.. Glad to hear that you have this beauty too! Any tips you could share? I love this orchid!!

Mahalo!!!

Laura
    {{gwi:55983}}

i know Mike likes frogs.. me too! here is one i picked up at the same greenhouse.. she looks so sweet with her parasol and a flower in her hair..wait!!! Could that be a Plumie? LOL!!!
    {{gwi:55987}}

Night Everyone!!!

Have a safe New Year!! BE SAFE!!

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hello Laura and Josh! Hello, everyone too..:-)

Rosey, please hurry up and get better, will ya!? I am so sorry to hear you have been sick, You better hurry up and get better so we can go to Logee's together!:-)

Laura, BEAUTIFUL!!! O LOVE that orchid and thank you so much for thinking of me. It means a lot! I actually think it's perfect and it must smell like vanila and clove. Oh, thank you, It's perfect! I hope you are well and your family is safe and sound:-)

Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I am excited about your presence? Oh, thanks so much for coming here. I just love that orchid. It's so special and look how far it has come in just 2 years and in a drier environment! I am impressed at your gift at growing this one.
    Is that a unique flower? I have never seen such detail and such a beautiful shape as this orchid. The color is ravishing pal.!
    I love the little lip on it too.
    Where is the link explaining all about this orchid so one here can see the history behind that one?
    Did you know that I saved about 7 Cattleya last year? They are all thriving right now along with the others I saved from HD this past fall. All new roots!

Now I can see you have many more flowering plants! You did not have that much since I met you. Have you been sinning too? lol

Look at that Citrus, original C.C, and that orchid flower. Thanks buddy. I hope you come around here more often since you like fragrant plants like we do:-0)

Laura, I meant to thank you for starting this thread and for the FROG besides the flowers..Thank you:-)

I hope everyone here is having a good night and everyone is safe.
    Much affection for all!

MIke

11 years ago

Welcome, Josh!

You can't tease us with a beautiful orchid and not give the species or cultivar name.
    Also how's the scent? :)

-Robert

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, folks, thanks for the welcome! :-)

Laura, it's great to be here. Your new Orchid is quite interesting with so many blooms....
    and I love the look of the bark skirt she's wearing, haha. The almond scent must be great!
    The CC is ready to open more blooms, too...and even my smaller propagations are blooming this year.

Mike, thanks for the invite, buddy. I can e-mail the full size image of the bloom if you want
    to examine it even further. This bloom does seem to be unique as far as color distribution,
    although the shape of the bloom clearly shows the lineage.

Here is a long Thread on the acquisition, re-potting, and blooming of this particular Orchid:
    My first Orchid!

Robert, as Laura intimated, this Orchid is a special namesake, hybridized by my grandfather.
    It is the 'Josh Green' Orchid. Here's some of the information that I have on the crossing:
    STELLAMIZUTAARA (Brassavola x Cattleya x Laelia x Broughtonia). Josh Green 'Kaaawa' -
    (Ctna Maui Maid x Bc Donna Kimura)

The scent of this Orchid starts out faint and sweet, and then becomes downright spicy as it ages.

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

sooooooooooooooooooo special!!!

Thank you Josh for sharing the link to your beautiful named Orchid. I know you are one proud man!! So is your grandfather...

Happy New Year!!!

Laura

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Well, I couldn't stop myself from looking when I was in the grocery store on New Year's eve - and these two lovelies came home with me. They smell SO good!

and, I can put them out in the yard next spring... so, yes, that's me thinking of spring a bit early. :)

thanks for the kind wishes, folks. I'm still coughing, but feel a lot better. My friends will say it's because they convinced me to drink shots with them... but, I don't believe it. I was getting better anyway, it has nothing to do with hard liquor (nasty stuff).

Anyway, it looks like I'm still shopping for plants and I told myself that I wouldn't do that anymore this year - that I'd wait to see how many of my autumn purchases would thrive and/or survive...

I have a feeling that my honeysuckle isn't going to be a long-term indoor plant as I'd originally intended. she's gotten long and leggy - but, is almost leafless.

I seem to be having more luck with my succulents, than with the fragrant plants...

• roseyd
    11 years ago

the hyacinths

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Hi Laura - welcome to the Fragrant Forum. It's a lot of fun here and you'll find that many are enablers.

Kasie

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Hello, All! Hope everyone had a nice holiday season!

Like Rosey, I managed to suck up all the local germs while visiting my kids and grandkids... the younger of which are walking virus factories interacting daily with all manner of other neighborhood children and schoolmates... and came home with a nasty chest cold/flu combination. The old guy and I are both sick. I'm glad for things like Vick's VapoRub and antibiotics! I'm a believer in modern pharmaceuticals, as long as I know what they contain and how they work, and whether or not there are more side effects than good effects!

My grandson was full blown sick while we were there, complete with fever that makes your ears red and hot, a horrid cough from a tight chest with infection, packed sinuses, runny nose, chapped lips, the whole nine yards. It's the kind of sick that makes your skin hurt! You know you need to eat, but you can't stomach anything. We felt so bad for the poor little guy... and now that we have it, we know what a trooper he was!

I'm off to a bad start with the new year... my monitor burnt up, I got sick, and to top everything off, I managed to leave my camera behind when we packed up to come home. I think I did, anyway... I can't find it.

On the positive side, H. "Minerva" has kindly waited for me, and is just now starting to open her large buds! And nothing died while we were gone, meaning that my orchids hung in there with the watering I gave them before we left for Christmas.

I also have a Gloriosa vine growing tall and looking to bloom, I think. I had thought the corm died in the pot, but when I gave it a small drink to moisten the medium a bit, it began to grow! It will be interesting to see if it does bloom, as it's growing in an east facing window.

Nice photos, everyone! Josh, that is such a wonderful Catt!

Well... trying to get caught up with reading and posting, taking my time through this cold. I sure hope no one else gets it... it's a nasty one!

Talk at ya all later!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year!!!

Hello to you all..

Mike.. Hope you are feeling better? ;-)

Kasie.. Hi There!! So nice to see you!! Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Hi Jodi!! Hope you are doing well! How is that Kindle?

Hi Robert and Mike from OK!!!

If i have left out any Plumeria vendorss.. please help me out!!! I am just pulling from the top of my head right now.. Thanks!!!

Greendale.. I wanted to post a few names of places to look for Plumeria

My friend Wendy.. she lives in San Diego and has started selling... she sells rooted cuttings at really decent prices . This helps from trying to root the cuttings which can take 2 months to root. I would advise to buy a tree with roots. IMHO ;-)

doublepeakplumeria@gmail.com she can send a list and brochure for you..

Jungle Jacks Orange County CA. Jon is wonderful!!
    Florida Colors Carol is wonderful to work with!!!
    Maui Plumeria Gardens They always send freebies!!!
    Piece of Paradise Great prices and quality cuttings (Derrick is known for his great cuttings!!!)
    Brads Buds and Blooms.. Florida.. Brad is a wonderful guy and has many great prices and wonderful varieties...

Ebay...

One stop ALoha Matt fromm Hawaii is a great guy!!
    Bloomingplumerias Fuzzy has great rooted trees for bid

These two guys i would recommend to buy from from Ebay!!

I hope this helps some of you!!!

If you need any other info.. please let me know!!

Take care,

Laura

• greendale
    11 years ago

Have not had a chance to get back here and almost missed this post. Laura, thanks, thanks, thanks for the list of vendors - that's more than enough - if I get one from each I will end up with 9 plumeria plants :).

The list is saved for coming spring - thanks Laura.

• fenius
    11 years ago

thanks laura I almost missed the list too! I hope some will ship to Greece...

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Hi, Laura! We're starting to feel human. This is one of those cold/flu combinations that hangs on, taking a long time for recuperation.

I've been slowly learning more about the Kindle, and trying to learn a little more about this laptop so I can get some use out of it. I don't know when my monitor will be fixed. I hope it CAN be fixed! I'm sure it can, but it may take some time. I'm last on the list, since paying customers come first... you know how it is!

Here's H. Minerva in bloom...

{{gwi:55988}}

{{gwi:55989}}

Hope everyone is feeling well!