Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_123

What To Do w/ Old Garden Hose?

julia_123
18 years ago

I'm new to this forum but I am surprised that it took me so long to find it!! :) I have a pretty long garden hose that is currently in my garbage can because it's got 4 or 5 "unpatchable" rips in it. I hate to throw it away...any good garden use for it? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Carol_Ann
    18 years ago

Don't toss it! I know I was forever wishing I had an old hose around to use for one project or another but now I can't think of what all those uses were :)

Here's one obvious one, though: Use it for support ties for your trees, etc. You can run wire/rope through pieces of it and put the hose pieces around the branches so the wire/rope doesn't cut into the bark.

You said it's unpatchable, but can you splice it with those splicing pieces from the hardware store and make a shorter hose? They're pretty easy to use, although I always found them a pain once installed -- seems like I was always stepping on or grabbing that part of the hose -- ouch! :)

I have a feeling you'll get lots more suggestions from others -- I'll be checking back to see what they come up with!

• bassketcher
    18 years ago

I made soaker hoses from old hoses.

• addictedtoroses
    18 years ago

That's what I was going to suggest: use a cap from an old soda bottle to seal off the open end, and then poke a few more holes in the hose. Instant soaker hose!!

• Kathy Johnson
    18 years ago

Decorate it to make it look like a snake & put around plants rabbits & birds eat.

• Spotts
    18 years ago

I use old hoses as a template for new garden borders. Just stretch it around in a garden form and use that as a template for digging.

• Crafty_Canuck
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone:

I am not sure how 'crafty' you are Julia but if you Google for; Hosepipe Wreath, you will find instructions for making a garden wreath out of a length of garden hose. I saved the instructions sometime ago...it's on my 'to do' list and looks really cute, *happy crafting*!

Della :)

• socks
    18 years ago

Here 'tis...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosepipe wreath

• grittymitts
    18 years ago

Wish I had one to make into shorter ones to go from faucet to reel...a six ft. one is nearly $10 at the big box stores!

• southerngardengal
    18 years ago

I wondered if an old hose could be made into a soaker hose. Couldn't figure out how to close off the end. Thanks Bassketcher! Now I can make me an inexpensive soaker hose for the peas that are coming up in the raised bed.

• drafted72
    18 years ago

If you can tell who made it, cut both ends off, and send the ends back to the manufacturer (use google to see were to send it) and ask for a refund. Take a chance, the worse they can say is no! That is what the instructions said on my new hose if it breaks.

• weedwhacker
    18 years ago

I make soakers from old hoses, everytime I see a hose to be thrown away I grab it! you can fold the end of the hose over on itself to kink it and duct tape or ring clamp it to hold it. I have also used old spray nozzles that dont quite work right anymore. as long as they arent stuck open!

• suzieh
    18 years ago

Overall if it's a good hose and only 1 or 2 splits, it's worth repairing. I got two really good hoses from the curb because someone didn't want to bother.

I have two hoses on a y-splitter (one long one and a shorter one for filling up watering cans, rinsing, etc). You could use your old hose for the short one.

I also used a piece of old hose to keep my hose from crimping at the hookup (cut off about six inches, slit length-wise and slip around). Use one of those adjustable ring clamps to secure.

My friend uses pieces of hose for hanging baskets on her oak tree (to keep wire from scarring branch).

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Cut to the length you need then slit up one side to slip over sharp edges of various garden tools, to protect your tools and yourself. You can use the same method to slip a piece over a bucket handle to add a little padding.

I second the repair ideas and soaker hose suggestions. I have a shortened hose that the dogs chewed up. I got a new set of ends for it for under $3 at the hardware store, versus $15 to $20 for a new hose.

• buzzy
    18 years ago

cut it up for dog toys

Sponsored