Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Is Pink Lady still under patent?

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I've been searching and can't find data on Pink Lady's patent. Am I just not looking thoroughly enough?

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/

http://www.freepatentsonline.com

Comments (13)

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Its Cripps Pink on the patent, see link below. Looks like it has expired.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Cripps Pink

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply! I take it then that the patent expired in 2010.

Publication number
    USPP7880 P
    Publication type
    Grant
    Application number
    US 07/599,347
    Publication date
    Jun 9, 1992
    Filing date
    Oct 18, 1990
    Priority date
    Oct 18, 1990
    Inventors
    John E. Cripps

The grant, which lasts for 20 years from the date of filing the application, protects the inventor's right to exclude others from asexually reproducing, selling, or using the plant so reproduced.

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 18:27

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Can I ask whats the big deal about pink lady? It seems over the last year or so there has been a lot of topics on here about it and a lot of questions about it. It led me to actually buy some and try and I personally was disappointed. All three times i bought them they were grainy bland and the flesh was like mush... are they supposed to be cooking apples?

• TurCre
    10 years ago

I believe "Pink Lady" is a trade marked name. Cripps Pink is the variety.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

canadianplant, yeah if you can't get good 'Pink Lady' apples in your area then I think it's a shame. We have the same issue down here a lot with 'Honeycrisp' apples. Sometimes it boils down to seasonal and regional factors when it comes to produce from the market.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Pink Lady should be firm, crisp and tart. They are a hot climate apple (developed in Western Australia), need 200 days to develop and don't do well if there are early winter freezes. They're our favourite apple here but we live in Western Australia where they were bred to grow.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't had a bad Pink Lady here, but I have had this with HoneyCrisp; one is good and the next not. My new favorite store-bought apple is Jazz; consistently hard, juicy, sweet, and tart. I just don't buy them from Costco because the plastic trays they sell them in produce an off-taste. I buy them from Sam's Club where they are bagged. I will have to wait at least 7 more years for a Jazz tree, hopefully no longer. (But being from New Zealand it may be the same situation with PL).

The reason for my inquiry is that I do have a Pink Lady and she is not happy here in Denver. I am planning on digging her up and sending her south as a trade. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't violating any patent if I keep a few twigs for grafting.

As I say this I am planning on covering my little orchard with greenhouse plastic and after she's gone she might be missed:(

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

MR clint - That makes sense. I wish i could remember where they were grown.. Im vaguely remembering new zealand.

On the other hand, the honeycrisp i get up here from S ontario and BC are wonderful. Crispy, juicy and extremely flavorful. They are also probably the largest apples I get from the store. Spartan is a close second!

I guess in terms of honeycrisp the problem may be that your area may be too warm? Theyre bred in Minnesota for hardiness. Why is it that the apples we really love usually dont grow well in our areas? LOL

• MrClint
    10 years ago

canadianplant, don't get me wrong, 'Pink Lady' are so good down here that I don't get too excited about any other apples. Even the new 'Piñata' apples can't touch them IMO.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Oh in SoCal I would imagine them growing great seeing as they are a "hot climate" apple. Was just saying that Pink Lady to me is the same as honeycrisp to you .

I would also say the exact same as you did in the above post about honeycrisp. I cant remember eating an apple that made me want to devour a whole tree worth!

• eugene_2010
    10 years ago

I HAVE A FEW APPLE TREES IN CENTRAL MN., INCLUDING HONEYCRISP AND MY FAVORITE IS SWEET SIXTEEN,ITS JUST PLAIN DELISH,BUT I DOB,T KNOW HOW IT WOULD TASTE IN A WARMER CLIMATE.

• kyyada
    10 years ago

" I will have to wait at least 7 more years for a Jazz tree"

I wanted a Jazz tree for my orchard but with the deal about the Pink Lady / Cripps Pink apples they are tighter with the trees to keep growers from selling them under different names to cut costs. I think it will be much longer.

When I go shopping Jazz is the apples I buy at the store!

If I lived near where they were grown I would pay them a visit in the night....

• curtis
    10 years ago

The Pink Lady & Breaburn apples grown down under will be hitting the stores in another month or so. If you buy at the better stores like Natural Grocers, whole foods & etc it is a chance to get some nice apples.

I don't know why, but the apples from natural grocers were better then same thing from other stores. They were organic, but that doesn't change flavor, perhaps the organic were just handled better.