Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My latest Uploads

Posted by Calla_Lady Z8b N. Calif (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 15:54

A lovely fuchsia that flowers profusely. Grows well in cool coastal areas. I have found that it root hardy in zone 8B.

[See the HortiPlex page for Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba']

[See the HortiPlex page for Fuchsia denticulata]

Usually I put this one in a cool greenhouse to over winter. This year I left it out to see if it would be root hardy.

[See the HortiPlex page for Fuchsia 'Firecracker']

[See the HortiPlex page for Fuchsia fulgens]

[See the HortiPlex page for Fuchsia splendens]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My latest Uploads

Wow, did not even realize that this was posted here, I would say that it is time to be moved this down the page
:~)Alicia

o

Hi Calla lady,

I love your picture of fuschia boliviana "alba". Can you give me a hint on where I can purchase one. I have did a google search but not much is coming up. Any help would be great.

Dott

o

Greetings Calla! Beautiful plants. Are these hardy to your zone? I have recently purchased several great hardy fuchias and love them!! Your denticulata are stunners especially the orange! Can I get them somewhere? Thanks, Sue

o

Hi Calla,
I'm interested in the third picture you posted.DH brought home a good size one just like it today,but had no info on it and i can't find anything thru Google.Can you tell me if it to planted in sun or shade,and anything else you may know about it.
TIA
Kathi

o

Gosh, sorry I've not been following up on responses, I completely forgot to check this posting.

Kathi, the third photo for Fuchsia 'Firecracker' is a variegated Fuchsia triphylla which in it's normal colors is a bit more sun tolerant than other Fuchsias. However since it is variegated it can be more touchy about full sun. In Southern Ca this one might be quite happy in sun on the coast but miserable inland. Full shade is always fine (but you may lose some of the intense pink color) and usually morning sun/ afternoon shade will work. For the most part the cultural needs (water, food, etc) are the same as other Fuchsias in my experience. As far as winter exposure goes, this one is a bit more tender than F. triphylla which is root hardy for me even when our temps drop to 20. I move 'Firecracker' into protection for winter.

Sue, yep the F. denticulata is one of my favorites! I love the colors, they remind me of rainbow sherbert, lol. Nope not hardy for me - I move mine into a protected area (no heat just cover for winter. Often they do die down to the root buy come back in the spring. As far as where to get it, I occasionally see them come into the nurseries. Perhaps you can ask a local garden center to see if they can find one for you.

Dott, I owe you an email. Sorry :~(. I will do that now.

Alicia (who is so far behind these days it is nuts!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here