Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My fuschia made berries. Now what?

Posted by maryliz 5b/SE lower MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 06 at 10:43

Hubby picked up a fuschia branch that fell to the ground at the local farner's market. I stuck it in soil and it grew and now I have four or five plants. They have been flowering, even indoors in Michigan during the winter. (We have nice, big windows.) I thought the onagraceae had only capsules for fruit. Shows how much I have forgotten from systematic botany in college.

I decided to let some berries ripen. They are the size of small olives, and a very dark fuschia color, almost black. They looked moist and delicious, then they fell off. I read the thread about eating them. But maybe I'd like to offer them to someone else. Are the seeds best sown fresh and moist, or dried first?

The flowers look like this:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~delta/gallery/album01/fuschia

It must be a pretty common type. I have seen it before. Is it a species or hybrid? Can anyone give me the botanical name?

MaryLiz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My fuschia made berries. Now what?

• Posted by maryliz 5b/SE lower MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 06 at 14:59

I went and worked on a quilt for a while. Then I got curious to see if I had any answers. Nope. I found another page with info:

http://www2.dicom.se/FUCHSIAS/seedpropagation.html

I got brave and tasted the fruit. Not bad. I think they'd be a perfect garnish for a fancy dessert, since they look like cute little mini cherries, including stem.

The page above mentioned that the seeds look like "the inside of a fig." But figs have bigger seeds than this. If these are seeds, they're tiny. I wonder if they're germinable. The page said to sow them right away, so I will try that, and see if anything happens.

I think the variety I have is "Blue Lagoon."

Any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here