Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to prune and make dormant?

Posted by housewren z6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 11:38

I have a fuschia Gartenmeister Bonstadt which got pruned late last year and didn't start blooming until November, about the time I brought it inside. It is still blooming, but I am wondering if I should try to cause it to go dormant now by letting it dry out and then pruning, or is it too late for a dormancy period if I want to get it going at the proper time in the spring. Should I prune it now and put in a "cold" spot? How far back should I prune it? When should I encourage spring growth.

I have read a lot on this site about fuschia care and overwintering in dormancy, but I am not sure if this would apply now, in mid-winter.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to prune and make dormant?

Hi

I would suggest that it is too late to get your plant to go dormant, however for exhibition purposes we often grow plants in a semi-dormant state just ticking over in green leaf until the weather or the conditions that we have are suitable to start the new growinng season.

I would suggest that you reduce the watering for a couple of weeks to slow down the sap rising in the stems then cut the plant back to whatever size you want, bearing in mind that the other cultural details will need to be carried out i.e. cauterising the stems to prevent die-back (I use a PVA glue just dabbed on the tips that have been pruned).

The plant will need to be re-potted at some time into new compost (what you would call soil) and also into a smaller size pot if possible to rejuvenate the plant.

It will start back into growth almost immediately and you will have a head start on most other growers and a couple more stops hence more blooms.

Hope this helps

Tight..

o

Thanks, Tight,

That helps a lot. I have a 45-50 degree F. area available, with some light. Would it be good to put it there for a few weeks after pruning
? Also, is PVA glue the regular white glue?

Housewren

o

Hi

Where you have to keep your plant sounds fine, just remember that you need to 'turn' the plant at least half a turn every day to ensure that each side gets equal light.

The PVA glue is just standard glue, just a drop on each pruning cut to seal the ends and stop the sap from 'bleeding' out and being attacked by fungus.

I hope this helps.

Tight....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here