Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassiope_gw

can even hardy fuchsias be over-wintered this way?

cassiope
19 years ago

Hi all,

I haven't been a visitor of your forum before, but this year I'm thinking of buying a few more fuchsias. I currently have Gartenmeister, and an unknown pink hanging variety (really there was no identified name on the label - only fuchsia). I've been bringing them indoors to overwinter and they seem to be fine with this treatment. I rarely get hummingbirds in my garden but this year I did have some and they only went to my Gartenmeister - hence my renewed interest in fuchsias.

So I have 2 questions:

1) What kinds of fuchsias attract hummingbirds the most?

2) Is there any problem with over-wintering any type of fuchsia the way I do? (I notice some are labelled hardy - well I'd still bring them indoors, our winters are too cold)

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• socal23
    19 years ago

Cassiope,

1.)I can't answer the first question definitively since hummingbirds prefer some of my other plants, but I expect they would tend to have an interest in those with simple red flowers.

2.)Your method for overwintering them is just fine, don't attempt to overwinter them out of doors in your area. As you appear to have realized based on your above comments "hardy" is a relative term which in this case means, "Can take some frost."

Ryan

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Ryan.
    My energy in gardening keeps on changing. Our weather has not been cooperating for many of my favorite perennials to survive (haven't been getting the snow cover). So I've been moving towards more annuals or bringing some tender plants indoors.

• Adrene
    19 years ago

I have a Gartenmeister fuchsia and my greenhouse is still being built. My question is: the fuchsias are in my entry-way, do I cut them to the base or how do I overwinter them? I have plastic over them right now.
    Adrene

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Adrene,

I'm no expert, but in zone 3/4 I tried to overwinter my G. by the book (cut back, put in the garage, and water every so often). they never survived for me that way - always froze. Now I cut them back a little, and treat them like houseplants. They get a little leggy but have always survived and come back fuller when I put them back out in late spring. One problem I have encountered is that they need more acclimatizing to light after this treatment - they easily get scorched. I'm sure the way I do it isn't standard, but it works for me.
    Cassiope

• Adrene
    19 years ago

Thanks Cassiope, I'm a little slow - just how do I cut back my Gartenmeister. Do I cut the stalk back to 10 inches above the dirt?
    Adrene

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh Adrene-
    I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I don't think this is a great way to do it - but the only way that mine survive the winters.
    What I do is leave a lot of mature foliage, and since my Gs. are a couple of years old they're a good size. This means I cut off about a foot of top growth and leave about 2 feet. We have cold winters, but also short and intense summers. Because of the weather in the summer the fuchsias fill in quickly. I noticed you're in Washington - when I was there it seemed most plants got off to a slow start because of cool Junes. If you like I can ask my mother what she does - she's an avid fuchsia lover and lives in Washington, but she has a functional greenhouse. (I won't be able to talk to her for a week though!)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Cassiope and all

I have grown Triphylla's for more years than I care to remember and unfortunately I live in area of the UK where we have to protect them well into mid May. The way I overwinter here starts around the end of September with the plants being cut back as described in previous theads and laid on their sides for a week or so to let the sap go back into the plant. I then place the plant in it's pot on the staging and just leave it for a couple of weeks, it then starts to throw new shoots and the growing process starts again.

I haven't had to put the plants into anywhere heated at the moment I only provide a cover of horticultural fleece when the weather forecast gives frost. In the lean-to green house where the Triphyllas are I am also growing Species such as F. fulgens, F arborescens and F. procumbens. All have been treated in the manner as described and all are now back into growth.

I never treat my plants as houseplants the light level is just not good enough, I prefer to keep them under cover until the temperature increases and the natural light level improves. That usually means taking the plants out of the greenhouse during the days of late March and then having to bring them all back in under cover before nightfall.

I have added the link to my site and I hope this helps

Tight....

Here is a link that might be useful: A Beginners Guide

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tight,
    Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse, and our winters are nasty (minus 35 below). My garage is too cold, so I'm stuck with keeping them in my living room. My fuchsias do survive, and to me that was the greatest challenge. However, if you think I can modify what I do, I will try it. I truly appreciate your advice, as you clearly know what you're talking about! And thank you for the link.

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Cassiope

Seems you have it oretty bad weatherwise!!!

When you say that you have a garage, is this kept frost free, my reasoning being that it is possiple to keep fuchsias in the dark over winter as long as they aren't frosted. This can be done in a garage, basement, loft, spare room anywhere really where the frost doesn't penetrate.

If you have any situation like this let me know and I will discuss how to overwinter this way.

This is how the Insulinde (a good Triphylla type that I exhibit at Fuchsia shows) looks at the moment (photo taken today 12-01-05)

Let me know if you need any more help.

Tight....

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tight,
    I did try using my garage at first - the plants and the soil froze solid.
    What do you think - could I modify my treatment by having my fuchsias go dormant early in the season, and then in my house supplement their light with artificial light, so they don't become so leggy?

Thanks for your photo - It's nice to visualize the whole process.
    I think I just need a higher paying job and should build a greenhouse!

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Cassiope

If you have left your plants just in their pots in storage you will no doubt have lost them to the frost even if they were in the garage. What I would suggest is the following;

1) Stop giving your plants water at least a couple of weeks BEFORE you want to cut them back;

2) Cut your plants back by approximately 2 thirds (making sure that they have at least a couple of buds below the cut;

3) When you cut the plants back use a PVA glue on the cuts to stop the sap bleeding onto the stems;

4) After the glue has set, you should wrap the plants in their pots in newspaper or preferably garden fleece;

5) Place the wrapped plants in a large box which has had all sides (including top and bottom) covered with some form of insulating material (sheets of polystyrene are good for this and if all else fails you can use the material used for packing electrical appliances or the small beads that are sometimes used to fill cushions or bean bags) anything that will insulate.

The plants will need checking a couple of times during the winter to make sure that they do not become too dry. Water sparingly and replace the plants until you are happy that you can bring the plants out of their 'hibernation' and start them back into growth.

I would like to say that you could keep the plants growing in the house overwinter but unless you have all the conditions correct you will either have stunted growth or leggy growth. Much better to try and give the plants a rest during this period.

Sorry I can't be of much help .....but -35 now thats cold!!!!.

Tight....

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all your trouble Tight,

I copied your instructions and plan to follow them.
    I wish I knew how to post photos - my Garten. is nothing compared to what I've seen in this forum, but they still fill a sentimental niche.

• tightathome
    19 years ago

No Problem Cassiope, glad to be able to help a little.

There are special things that you need to do when growing Triphyllas in pots, they don't behave like ordinary cultivars. When we get into the growing season I will explain what you need to do in order to have a really nice, well shaped and large plant.

Maybe not as big as ths one - but then again I know that this plant is at least 20 years old and is owned by a good friend of mine Mike Oxtoby (Oxo)....

Tight....

PS That is my darling wife stood by the plant - it is moved around on a pallet and is in a very large container.

You can see how hard this gets cut back by visiting the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Oxtoby's Site

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tight-

You are cruel! We are having a very bad stretch of weather - it warmed up to melt the little snow we had, and now it will be bitterly cold with wind for 5 days (high of minus 7!).

But THAT is the biggest fuchsia I've ever seen - it's gorgeous! No truly - this is quite inspirational. I think you've have a new convert.

(and I really can't complain about the weather with all that's been happening)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Yeah

Sure puts my Âlittle one tp shame doesnÂt it!!!!

I will just have to try harderÂ.

TightÂ..

• cassiope
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No!

Yours is gorgeous too! If I could post mine, you'd feel very smug! (I still love mine though - even though mine isn't show perfect, I love the foliage and the blooms (yours is much showier - mine is not as symmetrical or prolific as yours).

• DgreenR
    19 years ago

WOW!!! Tight, that photo of the 20 yr old fuschia is incredible! I've seen 5 foot tall fuschias, but nothing like that! Can any fuschia plant grow that tall? I assume it was grown in a greenhouse? How do grow it for so long though? Just keep doing the same thing for a long time? I actually have two triphyllas, but I never knew their name because they didnt come with tags. I actually rooted a cutting of one of them not too long ago in water. I potted it two days ago, I sure hope it makes it.

-DR

• Jami_Brownthumb
    18 years ago

Those are both gorgeous! I'm getting in on this thread a little late. Has anyone already asked about overwintering in zone 8? I just plopped my Gartenmeister in the ground next to my front walk not knowing any better. Will I need to dig it up? I'm so happy with the results, I'm willing to treat it like an annual, but I'd rather keep it happy over our warm, wet winters here if I can. Thanks!

• loloo
    18 years ago

Cassopie, go to FAQ and click on overwintering in pots. That`s how drastic I cut my gartenmiester and it came back healthy. If it gets too leggy, pinch it back.

Sponsored