Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watchmefly

aphids - take cuttings or not?

watchmefly
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a fuschia "Marinka" that I have grown each year. At the end of the season I take cuttings which I grow indoors, and allow the plant to die. This year it was flourishing so much I just had to bring it inside. (Technically it is 4 plants from cuttings in one pot). It has done well, but not blooming. I have been meaning to take cuttings, and usually the approaching frosts force me to hurry up and do it. But this year with it inside I have been lazy and haven't taken them yet.

I just recently read about them needing a "rest" so I plan to take the cuttings from this one and then cut it back, pot it down or down-pot it or whatever it's called, and put it to bed for a while.

I have everything ready today and realised there are aphids on the leaves (Light green no wings that I have seen). Ugh! Finally I got around to doing this and looks like I may not be able to yet.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

• I could wash off the branches I intend to take cuttings from and go ahead and take cuttings.

I could do the same but treat the cuttings after wards (sounds risky)
I could treat the whole plant and take cuttings later (and hope plant does ok) If I do that could I still go ahead and pot-down the plant now? Or should I wait and do that after the cuttings.
Or maybe there is another option.

I saw the alcohol based spray in the faqs area; I have an indoor houseplant systemic insect control 2% Di-Syston Brand name "Bonide"; yellow sticky traps; and a range of products I use on outdoor plants like insecticidal soap, horticultural oil, neem... I could rinse off with water but could easily miss some.

Do any of you who are more experienced have any suggestions on how I might proceed from here?

Thank you,

Susan

Comment (1)

Sponsored