Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Death sentence?

Posted by immatater 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 18:23

I was looking at fuchsias in a gardening catalog and I think they are beautiful! I would love to get some to hang around my back deck. It is in the shade all day long from the house and the trees in the back lot. Would they survive here (East Texas, zone 8) I saw that there are a few heat tolerant species, but they aren't the ones I like, of course. LOL! I like the light pink w/lavender. I would hate to buy them just to watch them suffer though.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Death sentence?

The basket or trailing type fuchsias are hybrids but their parentage comes from semi-tropical species native to Central America. Heat is not necessarily an overriding factor....at least in zone 8.......but sun and dry conditions may be. The biggest concern is allowing the plants to dry out. Even if kept in shade all day (recommended), a lot of heat can cause hanging baskets to dry very quickly. You may need to water very frequently, perhaps several times a day. Fuchsia starts tend to be relatively inexpensive so it can't hurt too much to give them a try.

FWIW, white and pale blue/lavender types tend be less heat tolerant - the reds and oranges the most.

o
RE: Death sentence?

you can grow fuchsias in tx as what was said be for its the sun that kills them and in east tx the wind what i used to do was water first thing in the morning spay at midday and water again at night but becarfull not to drown the plants more are lost though to mutch water and not enough the next thing is buying your plants not many good places in tx to buy good plants you would have to hope for the mail to be good as they would be dead befor you got the plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here