Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebamboo

Which Fuchsias are hardy?

bluebamboo
19 years ago

Going through the AHS Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, I found F. 'Billy Green' rated as Z7-11 and F. magellanica rated at Z6-9. F. 'Riccatonii' is listed as 'extremely hardy'. Are there any other Fucshias that are hardy to Zone 7? (And which of these would you personally prefer to grow?) Thanks!

Comments (9)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Mark

I am not sure how many of these cultivars you will be able to obtain from where you are? But the link below is not only a good list of Hardies there are also many photographs to give you an idea of just what is available.

Hope you find something.....

Tight....

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Hardies - Chalk Farm

• witsend22
    19 years ago

wow that is a lot of varieties.. bought my first ones last year and rooted cuttings over winter. never knew there were so many or that hardy varieties exist. not sure just how hardy those hardies are but with some heavy mulching.... hmmm.... might try to leave some in the ground this coming year

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Wits,
    I see your zone is 6Pa, what are your average minumum winter temperatures? - Kath :)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Kath - Zone 6a avg. winter min is -10° F -> -5° F (about -23° C -> -20° C).

This past year was the first time I've seen F. magellanica offered around my area at a nursery. I picked up a little 'Aurea' that I potted and have inside for winter. I've wondered if these were realistically hardy around here. But I guess one would never know unless they try it.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Just wanted to add that Zone 6b is -5° F -> 0° F (-20° C -> -17° C), just to cover the rest of the Zone 6 range. :)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Thank you for that info Jenny. I've lived at my present address for 36 years, our average winter temperatures are normally never less that 23f / -5c. Earlier years, on the odd occassion 14f / -10c and my hardies survived, but if they would have survived -5f to 0f (-20c to -17c) that is doubtful, but as you say one never really knows unless one tries.

If you are going to try next winter, take some cuttings first and keep those plants overwintered inside, and the one outdoors, plant it into the garden late Spring/early Summer, at least 8 inches deeper than it is in the pot. This gives it chance to get its roots well established into the ground before next winter. Before the frosts come cover with at least a foot of dry mulch eg chipped bark or something similar.

If you decide to try, let us know the following year if it survived - Kath :)

• Anne12
    19 years ago

Are hardy fuchsias (outdoors) prone to having white fly? Also I have a hanging basket fuchsia that I wintered in my greenhouse and it is white fly prone. I use a homemade soap+ spray and have to use it weekly. Anne

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Anne

Unfortunately fuchsias are very susceptible to whitefly and almost all growers will experience the problems that you are encountering at some time or other.

One problem with using a soap based spray is that the whitefly produce a waxy protective covering and you canÂt always be sure that you have Âzapped them all, hence they start the cycle once again and it becomes a vicious circle.

The way I deal with the problem is to spray twice weekly in order to break the life cycle of these pests. I must admit that I use an insecticidal spray and only after I am sure that the whitefly and any aphids are under control will I use a soft soap spray (Stergene). I have in the past used a spray made up of 1 tablespoon of ÂPotato Starch (Farina) mixed with a pint of water. This sets on the whitefly in a couple of minutes and then you simply wash the plants afterwards using clear tepid water. The drawback is that you MUST make sure that the plants are clean and that you clean the spray out immediately before the solution sets in the nozzle etc. - but it does work and it is organic.

However, having said that home made recipes are not recommended ÂÂÂÂ well not here in the UK anyway.

Hope this helps.

Tight....

• dryad58
    19 years ago

Hey there,
    I have a fuschia gartemeister that I bought while i was living in California. I don't know how well it withstands freezing temps, but the thing will not die! I've had screen doors crush it, the dog has dug it up twice and the cat STILL thinks it's a salad bar.... and the fuschia has a whole bunch of new growth and is trying to bloom again! I'm impressed. :) The only problem i ever had with it was an infestation of these little mites, but washing the leaves took care of it.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals