Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting from a window box

Posted by deckplanter 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 22:53

Greetings all,

I have a fuchsia (cultivar unknown! It's a trailing type) that I bought in fall 2006. It was flowering and growing happily all last summer under a shady table on my south-facing deck, then it took a break for December, and now has lots of frisky new shoot and buds. Here's the issue:

It was a small fuchsia and I planted it in a 24" x 6" window-box style planter, meaning to put some primroses around it and have a colorful shade planter. The primroses are long gone now and I would rather repot it to hang under the eaves, BUT... it's been growing a long time in this long, narrow, rectangular box. I imagine it has sent long roots out to the left and right, and short ones under the stem, thanks to the box's skinny proportions.

So how do I transfer this fuchsia to a round planter for hanging? I have a 10" plastic hanger that's a little deeper than most hanging baskets - more like a pot than a bowl. Should I just trim the long roots? Curl them around into the new pot? Leave it where it is if it's not rootbound? Is this even a good time to repot? For that matter, is the 10" diameter pot going to be too big?

I hate to mess with success, because my fuchsias usually do not make it through the Santa Ana season and this one has survived that twice. It would be *much* easier to take care of the plant in a regular pot though, especially since the landlord butchered the nearby tree this fall and all my filtered shade is gone *sigh*. I'll probably have to move it around to keep it well-lit but not cooking in the summer sun.

All wisdom gratefully appreciated =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting from a window box

Additional Info... I checked the box this morning and roots are *just* peeking out the drain holes, but not spilling out, if that makes any difference.

o

Not a problem, you are in zone 9 so I would think you can dig and root prune now, I do this quite often when taking fuchsias into the greenhouse for the winter. I root prune and plant into smaller pots with quite a few of mine so they don't take up as much room on the benches. Make sure to sterilize whatever you use to prune the roots with. You should also cut the top back as well this will force new growth and this in turn will produce more flowers for you. Someone from your zone might jump in with more info for you but this forum is so slow some of us that grow Fuchsias don't check in very often. Hope this is of some help.
A......

o

It is, thanks! Seems odd that there is not more specific information on the web somewhere, but I have googled in vain. I'm sure the plant will appreciate some fresh, nutrient filled soil after living in the same dirt for two years.

What do you suggest for sterilizing the pruners with? And do I need special shears for trimming the roots?

o

I use secateurs (pruning shears) or sometimes scissors on the fine roots and I wipe the shears/scissors down with rubbing alcohol or dip them in water with a bit of bleach before I start and again before moving on to another plant. There is quite a bit of information out there, here's a link to the American Fuchsia Society, they have links to more Fuchsia Societies this should get you started in finding more information on these little beauties. Good luck with your Fuchsia.
A......

Here is a link that might be useful: AFS

o

Excellent, very helpful. Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here