Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysbelle_gw

Fuschia bonsai

kaysbelle
19 years ago

I planted a "hardy" fuschia last year and it did well. Not knowing if it was really "hardy" here in zone 5 so I took six cuttings and rooted them. They all survived and are now 10 inches tall. The only thing I know about the plant is that it is a Fuschia Magellanica. My question is this: Would this make a good bonsai plant and what are my next steps. The plants have nice leaves. How do I get the step to bulk up? Do I pinch the top out to keep it from getting any taller? Please advise.

Comment (1)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Yes Kay,
    For bonsai,the main objective is to have a thick main stem which will later be the trunk. Cut it back to 6 inches and then grow it on for a couple of years just like you would for a bush fuchsia. During the summer months plant it into the garden, giving it a free-root-run is the quickest way to achieve thickening of main stem. At the end of the summer, dig it up and remove any thick tap-roots, leaving as many fine white roots as possible before you put it into a flower pot again for the winter. Even when it is in the garden you can begin to shape it, easiest way is to think of the shape of a triangle, this will give you a basic tree shape for your bonsai.
    If you go to the link below, there is more info, come back if you have more questions - Kath :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bonsaigarden.net

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz