Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuchsia Parliament

Posted by RockyGardiner SA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 9:16

I am an average gardener who has always admired fuchsia's. I had a couple of fuchsia's a few years back in my last property which were in the ground and looked after themselves (most of the time). In the new property now which I need to continue to build a sparse garden ... thus the other day when I notice a pretty (fuchsia parliament) at bunnings, I purchase it. i would like to know if this is a suitable plant for my location in semi arid SA and for a hanging basket lined with the co-co fibre. In summer we can always get between 5 - 7 days in a row of 40+ degree celcius heat which I have since read is apparently an issue with most fuchsia. Winters are cold with a handful of medium/slight frosts. Area I have for them is a verandah which gets sun until noon then shade. Is fuchsia parliament suitable for my heat/location. Either way any suggestions of 8 alternate hardy fuchsia's perhaps 6 trailing ones for baskets and 2 bushy or standards that could go in the garden shade and available to be purchased. Appreciate any help or tips getting them started and staying going ... especially in the baskets. Thanks Pete.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuchsia Parliament

My experience with fuchsia is limited. That being said, since you have been reading about fuchsia, you must have come across many articles with varying ways to treat your fuchsia for optimal results. Some maintenance regimens by successful growers can be complicated. I think the only way to know for sure if your plant will flourish where you want it is to try it. Make sure your basket has excellent drainage (coir is great) and that the soil stays moist but not wet. I don't know anything about the cultivar you have, but because of the light intensity in your area, even partial sun might be too much. I had Santa Claus (hardy) in a pot that did very well in the sun here (and I live in the north where even when it's sunny, it doesn't get hot (22C)), but my Dollar Princess couldn't handle it and I had to put it in full shade. Try it out, watch it, and adapt. Look into overwintering your fuchsia indoors. Good luck!

This post was edited by pwin on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here