Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Love Fuchia's

Posted by josie_2 Maine (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 15:45

As a girl in Ireland we had huge fuschia bushes,my Father said the fairies made their dresses from them.I yearn to have some here too.Do you think I could grow them in Maine zone 5 and not loose them in the winter?.Any hints or tips for me?.Thanks Josie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Love Fuchia's

You can grow them in pots and place them in a frostfree place during the winter.

You can also try some of these varieties:

Fuchsia magellanica alba
Fuchsia magellanica gracilis
Fuchsia magellanica riccartonii

These survives the winters in the stockholm area (I think its around am. zone 5) but you have to plant them deep 10-15cm under the surface in a well drained place. They do not grow so large in my garden.

You can also try other magellanica varieties they seem to be quite hardy.

o
RE: I Love Fuchia's

Forgot to write that hardy fuchsias has to be planted in spring-early summer so that they are well established when the winter comes

o
RE: I Love Fuchia's (hardy fuchsias)

Found this entry at the swedish fuchsiasociety yhat might be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy fuchsias

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here