Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanbelu

Another Newbie trying to kill her Fuschia

oceanbelu
18 years ago

Hi All!

No I'm not intentionally trying to but some how I'm managing to do so. I have a little Eva Boerg that I bought from Wal-Mart to have in my cubicle at work. It was in bloom when I bought it. I repotted it into a slightly larger size pot with rocks in the bottom and potting soil. On the soil I put sphagnum moss so it would keep the moisture in the soil better. I knew that they liked water but well drained soil. I have a small shelf setting behind my LCD monitor were I placed the plant. There is a cubby above that with florescent lighting and the plant has plenty of light which I leave on all the time. I try to water every other day, yet IÂm getting dry leaves and some leaves with dry spots on them. It is in bud right now with a few ready to bloom by the weekend with some new buds coming along. Can any one help me diagnose my problem? IÂm moving the plant for the weekend to an office with a window that has a film covering over to cut back on the heat. When I move it back to my cubicle should I get it out from under the over hang? Also has any one used the soil additive that is crystals that swell up when watered? Any suggestions will help!

Thanks!

Bel

Comments (4)

• crazyforcorelli
    18 years ago

Hi, Bel.

Generally speaking, fuchsia isn't an indoor plant. Having said this, however, I have to admit that IÂm currently overwintering mine indoors. Last year I overwintered in my unheated garage, and I lost about half of my collection (including some winter hardy cultivars) to the cold. Unfortunately, my percentages are about the same this year, though at least IÂve enjoyed the survivors (some of them have even bloomed) over the past several months. It seems that my "death rate" has leveled off, and I expect that what remains of my collection will make it to summer.

My biggest challenges for the indoor scenario have been getting enough light and increasing the humidity. It sounds like your light levels should be okay, but you probably need to increase the humidity. Although fuchsia donÂt require the really high levels of humidity need for other types of plants, the average office environment will nevertheless be too dry. IÂve got over 50 of them (along with some begonia and coleus) in one room; this increases the humidity, but I nevertheless run a humidifier several times a week.

By the way, IÂve noticed that with the increased humidity, IÂm watering less often. (At least I am now -- IÂm pretty sure that some of my losses resulted from too much water.) YouÂll need to find the right balance between watering and humidity.

Hope this helps!

-Crazy

• the_analyst
    18 years ago

Crazy may be on to something. I found my former fuchsias did not like being in my house. They are very fickle plants. I bought a new fuchsia 2 weeks ago at the Philadelphia Flower Show. Since it is still too cold for me to put it outside, I have it indoors in my mini greenhouse, the FRO from IKEA (here is an old picture).

So far, the plant seems to be doing well in the FRO--warm enough, with some humidity.

If you keep it at your office, perhaps try using a larger saucer under your pot, filled with some rocks or hydroponic expanded clay (see link below for picture). If you water these mediums, they should produce some humidity.

Keep in mind, I never tried this with a fuchsia; it is just a suggestion.

Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful:

• crazyforcorelli
    18 years ago

Hi, Sarah.

How long have you had your fuchsia in the greenhouse? IÂd like to know how this works for you, in case I could adapt that principal for overwintering next year.

Are you monitoring the temperature in the greenhouse? It seems to me that it might be a bit warmer than the optimal temperature for growth....

-Crazy

• the_analyst
    18 years ago

Crazy, I've only had the fuchsia in the greenhouse for a few weeks. The temp in the greenhouse isn't too warm, b/c the windows are plastic not glass (keep in mind, it is from IKEA). Also, if you see the bottom, there it is open with the metal bars, so air can get it. Currently, I have the greenhouse inside when it is cold (it is inside tonight) and outside during the day when it is warm. The fuchsia will come out soon, b/c once it gets a bit taller, it will be too large for the greenhouse. I do have a table-top terrarium, which I am considering maybe using next. The terrarium doesn't have a bottom, so I can prop it up on some coasters or bricks, to allow air to circulate through the bottom. I will let you know how it works, if I try this.

Sarah

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County