Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockyn_gw

Can fuschia's survive Texas?

rockyn
18 years ago

Howdy all,

I love, love, LOVE fuschias. And they just seem to melt in our early summer heat. (never mind the late summer temps...)

I seem to get suckered into buying a new victim about this time of year, only to see it wilt by early May. Shade, partial shade, sunnier seems to make no difference.

We get up to 60% humidity. Is there anyway to keep one of these little darlings happy down here?

Comments (22)

• pamela_grow
    18 years ago

It seems we have similar problems. I too LOVE these plants but can't get them to grow (I live in Florida). Hopefully one of us will get a reply. Good Luck!

• roxy77
    17 years ago

Oh man, I got an Angels Earring this weekend. From what I've read it's heat tolerant and I sure hope so because it's my new favorite plant. I knew nothing about Fuschia until this weekend.

I have mine hanging on the porch in the shade, if it dies I will be so sad.

Hopefully some can come give us some hope. THESE PLANTS ARE AWESOME!

• nancykey
    17 years ago

I just purchased a gorgeous hanging basket about 2 weeks ago & hung it outside on my covered front porch. Our weather has been pretty consistent. All other baskets & potted plants are doing well. This poor thing is shriveling up. It has water, good sunlight (AM). I have brought it inside, thinking is was too hot. Any ideas?

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Move to Washington? LOL

Actually people in Texas have had good luck with them. With your heat, keep them partly shaded; water twice daily at least and feedd heavy. Here's a list of heat tolerant varieties.

I keep mine in full sun here; they do love our cooler nights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuschias

• bonnie_2006
    17 years ago

I live in Houston and NO they cant survive here.Dont waste your money.Its too hot here.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Not if I purchase a product called mini "micro-environment greenhouse". The day and night temperatures are completely machine controlled.

• roxy77
    17 years ago

Update on Angel's Earrings:

It seems to be doing well! Still blooming, no shriveling at all. I have it hanging in full shade so that might help. We will see what happens when it gets really hot, but so far so good!

You guys might try this variety.

• atash
    17 years ago

Fuchsias are Gondwanic. They occur in Mexico but birds probably brought them up from South America long before the two continents collided near the Ithsmus of Panama.

They have fine, wide-spreading (and rather greedy) roots which are not as susceptible to disease as those of many of their compatriots, but bear in mind that their resistence to Phytophthora is poor. Phytophtrhora didn't occur in the southern hemisphere until people inadvertantly brought it in. Many southern hemisphere natives have zero resistence to it.

This is why they can grow in Sacramento, California, in shade with lots of irrigation, despite temperatures in the 100s in the summer, but are almost hopeless in the southeastern USA. The Phyto kills them sometimes within hours.

I have heard from a few folks who claim that they can grow things from the southern hemisphere, because their coarse sandy soil is not particularly condusive to Phyto.

There is at least one heat-loving Fuchsia. Maybe a few of them, but most are native to cloud forest or rain-forest in cool, temperate climates. Fuchsia triphylla comes from the Caribbean and loves hot, humid weather. Most unusual for its kind. I have no idea if it is any more resistent to Phyto but I would guess that it probably is. It has been tried occassionally in the southeast.

It has minimal resistence to frost. It can be and sometimes is grown as an annual.

I have a Triphylla type hybrid that does have some frost-hardiness--NOT MUCH--and we just had a fairly severe winter. No signs of shoots yet. I am hoping that I didn't lose it. It was quite a beauty--the variety "Billy Green".

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

It appears to me that Genetic Engineering of fuschia is desperately needed. We need Phytophthora-hardy fuschias.

• prissymisss
    16 years ago

Noticed in the new Plant Delights Nursery catalog today that they're offering three new heat-tolerant fuchsias from 'the Suntory breeding program in Japan, where the actual intent was to produce true heat-tolerant fuchsias.' Says they're all three hardy Zones 7/8. If PDN says they're heat tolerant, I'd certainly give them a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

• pac101202houzz
    16 years ago

In general, the single fuchsias are more heat-tolerant than the double flowered ones so you might try sticking with singles. And then, perhaps you should look for varieties labeled "heat tolerant" in the singles. Make sure they're in pots that drain freely. In hot, dry weather, I water mine at least once, sometimes twice a day but they drain freely - do not let them sit with their feet in standing water. I will also mist them on hot afternoons. It's a bit of experimentation until you find what works best for you. Good luck.

• fengshui05
    15 years ago

hi,

Look out for the British Fuchsia Society list of hardy fuchsias. They should do very well in your area when you plant them with a little care.

regards,
    H.J.

• piksi_hk
    15 years ago

I purchased a 4" pot back in April from Wal-M and had it in the garage but it began to look sick, so I took it inside and placed it on a west-facing windowsill and it tried to bloom a few weeks ago, but the buds shriveled up and died. Now there are buds again; I'm so excited that it has survived so far. I gave it lots more water and fertilizer and several buds are starting to open:) Yippeee! I placed it in an east-facing window and have kept it fairly moist.
    Just had to share my news.
    Betsy

• socal23
    15 years ago

Atash,

Bear in mind that with the low dewpoints found in California, transpirative cooling is much more effective. In addition to this, low humidity facilitates lower night time temperatures than you would typically find in the deep south. Whether the destruction of fuchsias by phytophthora is due to a less vigorous plant or a more vigorous fungus hasn't yet been settled - though I doubt even sterilized potting mix would result in successful fuchsia cultivation in the deep south.

Those of you in the deep south could try growing them as winter annuals like we do with violas and primroses here in California.

Ryan

• dorne
    11 years ago

I live in the Dominican Republic in the Caribben where the first fuchsia was discovered. Having read that I happily invested loads of money on young plants to start a project of re-introducing fuchsias to this country but in a hybrid form. Forget it! none of it worked even those so called bred from Japan for heat tollerance. What the information neglected to inform me of initially was that the first fuchsia found here was found in the mountains. Gee its cold in them there hills. Here at sea level where I am.. fuchsias.. no way.

• viktoriaward
    9 years ago

Hi, I am located in the Dallas area of Texas and bought a fuschia plant at Walmart yesterday. I am absolutely in love (I have a passion for these types of trailing flowers). The thing is, I noticed some of the bulbs/flowers were wilted. What is the appropriate way to cut them so that where it's cut it will continue to grow or at least not die in that particular cluster? I cut back two yesterday near the closest intersection of leaves, leaving a 1/2 inch space between the leaves and cut. I am hoping I didn't cut back too much or do it wrong. I am new to gardening in general, and this is my first year growing food, herbs, and flowers from seed.

• rox146
    9 years ago

I lived in Bakersfield Calif. for 34 years and grew the uprights in the ground on the North side of our house for years. Thru the 4inches of snow we had 1 winter and all the heat of the summer. Some are more receptive than others to bad conditions. Up there it was like you could never over water a fuchsia. roxanne

• hplab
    9 years ago

I moved to Anaheim California from Huntington Beach California where the temperature difference is very big. This past September our temperatures were never under 90 during the day and frequently 75 or higher at night; humidity was a normal pleasant California humidity although occasionally a bit higher. My two fuchsias purchased locally in Anaheim both struggled with the heat. Watering them at least once a day if not twice a day and occasionally spraying them, I noticed they were getting much much better. I also switched the black plastic hanging pots to the moss type, to keep the plants cooler. Both had lost almost all their foliage, but are now bringing back many shoots or buds. Throughout, they have always maintained at least a few flowers, and now the flowers too are increasing in quantity. Keep 'em cool and wet!

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

not in Houston area, but this is an old thread. You still see them at stores around Feb, they're so pretty and pricey too

• Terri Rigby
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here is a link to another site in which they discuss fuschias in Texas. One of the posters claims good success with .the Dark Eyes variety even in the deep South Texas Gulf coast. https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/504573/ 

Here is another link at Gardenia.net that gives some information about Dark Eyes. https://www.gardenia.net/plant/fuchsia-dollar-princess-hardy-fuchsia

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm