Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container fuchsia with bulbs?

Posted by macfairman 10 N. CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 18:59

I live in N. Ca and don't expect much winter dormancy so the plant is in a pot in the front of the house. I'm fine with the plant having some time not blooming, but I wanted to extend the season somehow. It's a bush type, I think, called Galaxy Red & White.

I was hoping the fuchsia would be compatible with some bulbs. Any suggestions? I'm going to plant some native annuals in the pot too, to fill it in.

CJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container fuchsia with bulbs?

Hmmm...I'm having a hard time deciding what might look good with Fuchsias, so bear with me as I just start throwing out the names of bulbs that bloom winter and early spring...

Lachenalias?
Tropaeolum tricolor? Native to Fuchsia territory too. It will bloom in spring before the Fuchsia does and then go dormant for the summer.
Veltheimia bracteata?

Cyclamen, but these are low-growing things that will need to stay on the edges of the pot. C. purpurescens blooms late summer but all the rest that I am aware of bloom autumn through spring.

Crocus are pretty good at disappearing off-season. I am partial to C. chrysanthus, C. tomassinianus, the beautiful fall-blooming C. pulchellus, and the fall-blooming C. cartwrightianus, the wild ancestor of Saffron (you can even harvest the saffron, tho the threads are quite small).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here