Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's up with my fuchsia?

Posted by xanthoria 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 19:07

Hello all,

I was recently give a 5' tall Bolivian fuchsia, recently pruned back to maybe 5 sticks coming from the base. I planted it as advised in a sunny spot - for San Francisco it's actually quite a hot spot, against a south east-facing wall and getting nonstop sun.

However, the leaves are growing and they are coming in white. What does this mean? Some other leaves are green.

Someone has since told me to move the plant to a less scorching spot in the garden, and having Googled I can't get a concensus on what it needs.

It appears to be deciduous - should it be pruned every winter, or allowed to grow into a shrub? Is this a matter of preference?

Please advise - I'd love it to thrive!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's up with my fuchsia?

Check this site for info.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/bolivian_fuchsia.htm

Various other sites, too. Go to Google and use "Bolivian fuchsia" as the search phrase, but no quotes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bolivian fuchsia

o
RE: what's up with my fuchsia?

Thanks for the link - I've seen that, and I've googled the name, but still can't find answers to my questions:

The leaves are growing and they are coming in white. What does this mean?

It appears to be deciduous - should it be pruned every winter, or allowed to grow into a shrub? Is this a matter of preference?

I know it can be pruned, but *must* it be pruned?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here