Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezy_fl

Fuchsia newbie...I need a clue...lol!

Breezy_Fl
20 years ago

I couldn't resist this beautiful Fuchsia today in Home depot.The tag says part sun and it says that they are typically used in containers.

Is this true?

The tag says Fuchsia Hybrid.
How big will it get?
Will it fare better in a hanging basket or in a larger container?

How many hours of sun do they like,if any;shade?

I wanted to post here before planting.

Thanks!
Breezy
zone 9 Central Florida

Comments (14)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    20 years ago

Hi Breezy,
    Fuchsia Hybrid! Does it not give the actual name of the fuchsia, because there are thousands of hybrids. Some have stiff upward growth suitable for a container/garden and some have lax growth suitable for a hanging basket. If it doesn't specify a name which kind of growth does it look like?

How big will it get? That all depends which one it is.

How many hours of sun do they like? Place in a position where it is out of the pm sun.

Keep moist, but not soaking wet.

Have a look on the FAQ page for more tips (click on FAQ at the top of the page).

Sorry I can't be of more help without knowing the name of your fuchsia - Kath:)

• Breezy_Fl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the reply Kath!

Heres what the tag reads:

#1 Fuchsia
    Fuchsia Hybrids

Part Shade

Erect or trailing shrubs usually grown as container plants.Known for extremely showy flowers comprised of sepals (the part that curls back) and the corolla (inside part).
    Sepals are always white,red or pink.Corolla may be almost any color.
    Perennial;keep constantly moist.If plant gets leggy,pinch back branch tips to force side growth.Good hummingbird attracter.

That's all it says.
    Does that help any?

Unfortunately,Home Depot is known for selling nameless plants and selling plants that aren't zoned for our area BUT thats the only place that is close for me to buy my plants.
    UGH!!!

I still haven't potted it up yet.I'm undecided as to whether I should put it in a 12qt.Hanging basket or in a relatively larger container.

Any ideas?

Thanks and I hope this additional info helps!

Breezy

• fuchsiabonsailady
    20 years ago

Hi again Breezy,
    As it doesn't state which variety it is I would grow it on a bit more in the same pot and then later you will be able to see if it is growing 'upwards' or has a 'hanging' growth, then you could transplant it to the most suitable container, unless of course you could take a photo and put it in the gallery, Kath:)

• msmariposa
    20 years ago

I have absolutely no luck growing fuschia and want to try one more time. Hopefully, they will survive this year on my north facing porch in St. Louis MO (Z6-5a). will someone please take me by the hand and introduce me to proper soil, potting, feeding and watering. Please and thank you.

Mariposa

• Breezy_Fl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Mariposa,
    This is my first time growing Fuchias...aren't they absolutely beautiful plants!

I know absolutely nothing about them neither,so I can't be much help.
    I put mine in a self-watering 12" off white (to keep roots cool) hanging basket with Scott professional potting mix with Phosphorus added to promote root growth.
    I then hung it under my carport where it stays cool all day but gets late afternoon sun.
    I also feed it Miracle Grow 20-20-20 about every 2 weeks or so.(I heard they are heavy feeders.)

So far it appears to be doing well.It's flowering a whole bunch and I see new growth appearing......so I must be doing something right...for now...lolol!

I live in Central Florida,zone 9.

Good Luck and Happy Gardening!

Breezy

• fuchsiabonsailady
    20 years ago

A few basic tips for you Mariposa & Breezy.
    PLANTED IN THE GARDEN:
    Go the Fuchsia FAQ pages.

IN POTS/CONTAINERS:
    Light peaty soil is best (especially if they are hanging pots and you have to keep lifting them up and down for watering etc) with added grit and perlite to 'open-up' the soil and also for better drainage.

If possible water them in the mornings, keep moist but not soaking wet. At the beginning of summer dilute your feed to a quarter strength and water with this every watering until end of summer.

Position pots/containers so that they are not in full sun during the pm hours.

Dead-head flowers regularly, this helps to produce more new flowers.

Hope this helps you Kath:)

• jnette
    19 years ago

Hi you all,

Kath is right. A few more ideas, (confusion?) I like adding some compost to mine. Kellog Gardners Bloome if you can find it. Also, if the plant is heavy, I like to put it on a pulley for deadheading and watering.

I have never used the self-watering pots but my daughter loves them. Have fun. Jnette

• karen_in_memphis
    19 years ago

I've tried growing Fushia several times with no luck. They seem to just melt away. I was told today that Fushia just doesn't do well in my area. I really can't understand it, we are very humid at times, in Memphis. Thanks for asking the question and thanks for all the great info. I live in a suburb of Memphis, and have only seen half dead hanging baskets of Fuschia for sale. No individual plants. Is this an indication that they really don't do well here? Don't know. And they are always tagged as a shade plant, but do they have to have some sun? Tagging plants properly seems to be a problem, even at the smaller nurseries. Finding the cost of things is even harder.
    Karen

• junebugtx
    19 years ago

I am also a Fuchsia newbie. I just bought an Angel Earrings "Dainty" at Walmart. It was covered with flowers and I have had it two weeks. Now the flowers are falling off and it is covered with purple pods. Sorry to be so dumb but are these buds or should I cut them off so it will flower again.

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Oh, the pain of fuchsias....so lovely, so hard. =) I'm in your same boat. Mine is upright growing (reaching up for the porch roof overhang it's under), and in a hanging basket. I water, I feed, I even mist spray. There IS some new growth, but all of the leaves are curled under, as though it's stressed about something. Mine had no blooms when I bought it, and no sign of any either.

Makes me sad that I can't make it thrive thus far, although I'm still so happy that I found it!

And, Kath, I found another tag in it that says it's "Southgate!" Tagging....ugh....

Kathleen in TX

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Yes Junebug remove the purple pods, those are seed pods, removing them encourages the plant to flower again.

Kathleen 'Southgate' is a lax bush so ok for a basket. It's flowers are two tone pink - Kath:)

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Hiya, Kath--if Southgate is a lax bush, could I put her into a ground pot then? I was thinking she's awfully big for her hanging pot! If so, that'd be very nice, I would think...I'd leave her in the same "woodland" spot too, by the way....=)

Kathleen in TX

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Kathleen, yes that's fine. A 'tallish' pot would be best, then when it flowers they won't be spoilt by hanging on the ground - Kath:)

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Oh, marvellous! Thanks so much, Kath!

Your Student in TX, =)
    Kathleen

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz