Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clarifications to FAQ on Propogating Fuchsia

Posted by gardeninginjordan Jordan (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 1:52

I bought a fuschia this week, and while transplanting it, broke off a branch. I decided it was a good opportunity to try to propogate some cuttings, so I took cuttings from the broken branch. I've read the FAQ, but have some clarifying questions.

"Soft-tip cuttings are the best" What is a soft-tip cutting?

"remove cutting from stem just underneath a leaf node" Should I strip off those last two leaves, or should I stick them into the compost?

"place in a well lit situation , but not in direct sunlight" Would a north-facing window provide enough light?

Lastly, the fuchsia was is in bloom, so many of the cuttings I took had buds on them. Should I remove these buds? Is there any chance they will put out roots at this stage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clarifications to FAQ on Propogating Fuchsia

I am a beginner, but since nobody else has answered you yet, I'll give it a try. To the best of my knowledge, the soft tip cutting is just the growing tip, rather than a piece of the stem further down. Yes, do strip off the lower leaves. A north facing window has worked just fine for me. Always remove the flowers and buds so the plant can put its energy into making roots. I know many people can get them to root without rooting hormone, but I get a much higher success rate using it. Good luck!

o
RE: Clarifications to FAQ on Propogating Fuchsia

Thanks for the advice. I added some rooting hormone and removed the lowest stems and the buds. They're still looking good after a week and a half. If they all take off, I'll have enough fuchsias for the whole neighborhood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here