Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping a fushia going in zone 3

Posted by caro123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 3:13

Probably about to buy another Fushia-just cause the hummers like them.However I live in Zone 3.Is there anyway to overwinter them in the house or an unheated garage.I did read the sticky but just wondering how many people have had any success doing this.Take cuttings-save seeds-which is best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping a fushia going in zone 3

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 12:29

This year I had a fridge in the garage just for my gardening use. I put 5 fuschias in there for the winter. When I took them out they looked oh so dead, but I trimmed them a little, watered them, and put them in a north window. Two leafed out right away. After more than a month, I tossed 2, thinking they were dead. The 3rd one I would have tossed, but I had thrown a couple of spinach seeds in the pot to see how it would grow indoors. Left for 2 weeks and came home to find that fuschia with 3 inch long sprouts on it. Oh how I wished I hadn't tossed out the other 2!

o
RE: Keeping a fushia going in zone 3

I tried to save a mandevilla over winter in the house and it also looks dead dead but went to throw it out so I could use the pot and there are some large white tubers in there although all the roots look dead so decided to leave it alone and water and see what happens.Plants are just sooo expensive to just toss if you don't have to.I do have an unheated garage-well it actually is heated but I'm not wasting oil on heating it and a back entry that has an old chest freezer but not sure that this area is any protection
from freezing cold temps.I have had luck overwintering a fire begonia and have several cuttings growing from it.I love fuschias and they last pretty much all summer up here in Northern NH so might give it a go trying to save one thru the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here