Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela_grow

how to maintain a fuschia in Florida

pamela_grow
18 years ago

Hello!

This is my first time on the site, and I'm excited to have all the information provided here. My question...

I live in Central Florida and have just bought by third fuschia plant. I have tried twice in the past to grow this plant and failed both times. Both attempts have been in the summer. Can a fuschia survive in Florida's hot temps.? How do I judge whether I'm overwatering or underwatering, whether the plant is getting too much sunlight or too little. Thanks for your advice!

Comments (5)

• hazel_nc
    18 years ago

I have been trying for 50 years to grow fushias in North Carolina. I was raised in Washington State and I just love them. It is really hard to get them through the hot summer and they get the black spot. I have had some success. I planted one hardy variety in a shady place by the porch and it has come back for the third year. I keep my hanging baskets on the shady side where they get just the morning sun. They do take a lot of water, but don't let them stand in water or they will rot. When it gets in the high 80's, I'm going to take mine in the house during the hottest part of the day. That may be a lot of trouble, but I just can't stand for anything to die! Good luck!

• pamela_grow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you hazel! I'll take your advice!

• clwilder
    17 years ago

I grew fuschia in Virginia for several years. Although it does not get as hot there, I did learn a few things that might help you. First, I found that the fuschia with larger leaves, like the Orange Creamsicle type, did best in hot weather. Second, I used a water bottle and sprayed them several times a day to cool them down on the really hot days - but never spray during peak sun hours. Third, if they do get overheated and wilted, put them in a bucket of water for couple of hours after the sun goes down to perk them up again and then let drain. Hope this helps. Christina

• dahlhaus_q_com
    12 years ago

Several fuchsias have parentage from northern S. America- hot and humid, so you certainly can grow them. Look for the ones with long tubes and short sepals and often orange.
    'Gartenmeister Bonstedt', 'Thalia', F. boliviana, ...

Fuchsias are grown successfully in California, even in Sacramento, inland of San Diego and LA... If they are in containers shade them and water more often with good drainage.

While we in the Pacific Northwest rest fuchsias in winter, in hotter areas rest them in summer. Grow them in fall through spring. Just reverse the seasons.

I've always been puzzled why fuchsias aren't all over Florida, particularly by the water.

Keep at it!
    Salli Northwest Fuchsia Society

• rain1950
    12 years ago

There is a listing of heat tolerant fuschia from NW Fuschia Society.

They do like humdity; placing the pot on a saucer filled with pebbles and water helps also.

The intensity of the sun is also greater farther south so while I can keep most fuschias in full sun here up north; they are definitely full shade plants in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat tolerat

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA