Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Santa Claus

I bought one today but while I'm an experienced gardener, I don't know much about fuchsia.

Can you educate me on this plant?

It's a hybrid by Monrovia and is huge compared to the pot it's in. I feel like I should repot but what do they like? I plan on giving it bright shade on my screened in porch.

How often should I water and fertilize?

I would like to overwinter this inside also.

Thank you for your time.

Comments (5)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been reading all I can about hybrid fuchsias and think I have a handle on things but I cannot find anywhere what size pot they should have.
    I understand the soil should not be water retentive and possibly add cactus potting soil to my regular potting soil.
    Water everyday and don't let it dry out. Feed at half strength once a week.

I guess I don't know when I should repot it as it's in full bloom right now. Wait until fall after cutting back for winter?

I am keeping it on my screened in porch in filtered shade and will move it in when the temps go over 90 this summer.

It's about 2' wide with study upright woody branches and is in a 6" pot.
    If I keep it in this pot (or even if I do pot up) it will be nestled in a thick ceramic cache pot.

Seeing all those roots makes me want to repot but it is beautiful right now.

So, should I repot it now? Pull the roots apart some?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

B.... Fuchsias don't like to be over potted, when you slip it out of the pot and see a nice amount of roots it's time to move it to one size bigger, if when you slip it out of the pot and see a white mat of roots all over these should be loosened before planting in a pot one size up Wait till it finishes blooming, pot it up one size, give it a bit of time release fertilizer, maybe pinch the tips give it a drink. More blooms 6 to 8 weeks down the road. Hope this helps.

A......

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention Santa Claus is classed as a hardy in the PNW.

A......

• davew
    15 years ago

santa clausis a hardy in the uk but if you have it in a pot you will need to take it somewere frost free for the winter i would give it a lite prune then may be half way take all the leaves of make sure iys frost free and just keep it moist till the spring wait till new growth srarts then cut all the old wood away it will need a half strenth feed i dont know what you use and it will reach 18 24 inches with some very pretty blooms by the way the flowers are small so plenty of pinching it will make a good bush

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I stopped checking in here after a few days so...this was nice. I will keep my Santa Claus in a pot on our porch until fall. It is covered with new buds right now after looking bad for a couple weeks. I'm very glad to know about the pot thing though...it's not ready to be repotted at all.