Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?

Posted by cyh527 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 18:06

I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias A LOT, is this true? Can i just plant them on the ground and water them without fertilizing consistently and have them bloom and grow consistently?

Also, anyone has experience with them growing in full sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?

If you don't want to be fertilizing constantly dig in some well rotted manure when you are planting. This will also keep the ground from drying out. Yes fuchsias do like a rich soil as well as plenty of water. Good luck - ian.

o

If you don't want to be fertilizing constantly dig in some well rotted manure when you are planting. This will also keep the ground from drying out. Yes fuchsias do like a rich soil as well as plenty of water. Good luck - ian.

o

What they requite depends on if they are hardy, shrubby type fuchsias or if they are the tender, heavily hybridized, hanging basket type ("annual") fuchsia.

The first are not at all picky about enriched soil or lots of fertilizing. They tolerate both sun (in all but the hottest climates) and shade and quite dry conditions. A recommended plant for dry shade, as a matter of fact. In my climate they will bloom well past frost into late fall.

The basket type fuchsias are quite different plants and do need very frequent fertilizing to maintain that heavy bloom performance. 'Weekly, weakly' is the suggested method, meaning fertilize once a week with a half strength formulation. And these types of fuchsia will not tolerate full sun or much heat - at least afternoon shade is a requirement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here