Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjukalele

fuchsia care

anjukalele
16 years ago

Hi:

I just bought a fuchsia plant ( the one with pink petals and a purple bell inside) a few days back and re potted it in a hanging basket which has a coconut lining. I have hung the basket on a west facing porch which recieves sunlight for a very short time. I am noticing that the flowers are wilting already!!! Help! Have I kept it in the right place? How much light and water does it really need? I live in CA in the bay area to be precise.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

• atash
    16 years ago

Hello, anjukalele. Need more information. A lot of things could cause the flowers to wilt, and there are a lot of variables that haven't been revealed.

The most likely cause of the problem is that you bought a plant out of a greenhouse, and then put it immediately outdoors. Plants have a funny ability to grow according to the prevailing environmental conditions, and when you grow them in greenhouses, they get very "soft" and their tissues fail to conserve moisture because they don't need to--the humidity is already very high.

Then if you take a plant that was grown in a greenhouse, where humidity is very high, light diffuse, and ventilation very gentle (no wind), and put them outdoors where humidity is lower, light levels more intense, and there is now wind to deal with, they are apt to shrivel.

What you're supposed to do is called "hardening them off". You leave them out only a few hours in mild weather in a sheltered spot, then longer, then move them to a more exposed spot, and eventually, when they seem to not be too stressed, leave them in their final position day and night.

There are other possibilities too. What is the weather like? Any fungal diseases in your area? Thrips? Whiteflies?

>>How much light and water does it really need?

Bright open shade, with perhaps a few hours of sun, is about the right exposure. Morning sun is better than afternoon, unless you live in a particularly cool area, in which case it doesn't matter too much.

They can bloom with nothing but bright open shade (open to the sky but no direct sun) if you like.

You will need to irrigate daily in hot weather (which is why I don't do hanging baskets). In cooler and/or more humid weather, once every few days should be adequate. Fuchsias are heavy feeders--which is not surprising as they bloom frequently. Feed fairly often with a liquid fertilizer when you irrigate.

Let me know if I have given you enough information to solve the problem. If not, I'll ask you some more questions.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES