Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do All Fucshias Attract Hummingbirds?

Posted by heather__michigan Z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 23:25

Hi All!
I had an all red variety of a fuschia in a basket last year and got hummers for a couple months, almost daily.
I tried a Hummingbird feeder but the aunts found it and clogged it up (very gross).

? Do hummers like all fuschias? Or just the red ones?

Thanks to everyone,
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do All Fucshias Attract Hummingbirds?

I have found that they prefer the 'gartenmeister bronstad' fuchsia the best

Penny

o

• Posted by pnwjoy 8b-Kalama,Wa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 11:37

I think red is just very attractive to them. But I have had hummers attracted to many plants that weren't red also.
I have some mostly white Fucshias and I've seen the hummers on them.

o

Fuchsia arborescens and Fuchsia lycioides have been recommended as good hummer nectar plants. I've searched but seems lycioides is about impossible to find.

o

I was shopping at Garden Harvest Supply for my
Gartenmeister bronstad' and it was temporary out of stock.
I also check Logee's and they were out stock too
So I was wondering why they are stock so soon.
Last year, Garden Harvest Supply started shipping their
annuals and other plants in Mid-May.

What other Fuchias plants attract Hummingbirds?
Thank You

o

Yes, ALL fuchsias attract hummers.......and they are not picky about colors, either. We grow tons of fuchsia baskets at my nursery and hanging in the breezeway, there are always several hummingbirds visiting them. I watch them oftem and they very methodically visit every open flower, regardless of the form (doubles or not) or color.

Hummingbirds are attracted to nectar producing plants and they seem to know which ones have the best goodies hiding. And it has little do with the either the flower shape or color - in my garden I've seen them visit hellebores and clematis, neither of which are remarkable for tubular flowers or the "red" color hummers are supposed to be attracted to, but they are both heavy nectar producers. I also grow a lot of known hummingbird attractors as well, including hardy fuchsias, Cape fuchsias (Phygelius), honeysuckle, salvia, agastache and lots of winter blooming hummingbird plants, as Anna's are present here year round.

o

My HB just got his first Fuschia. I understand they need to be watered often. It has been hot here for May, so we have been watering it everyday. I was concerned with over watering it, because I see that some of the stems, that hang down look well, I guess you would say dead. They look wilted along with the leaves and some of the blossoms are turning brown. I have picked those off, and there are new buds forming. I got one of those 'water sphere' (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/285237690/GLASS_PLANT_WATER_BUBBLE.html) to put in it. Is that a good idea? Will that give it a good water balance? We have it hanging where it gets some sun in the morning and then shade the rest of the day. On the west side of our house. I don't want to kill his Fuschia! LOL! Thank you!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here