Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather__michigan

Do All Fucshias Attract Hummingbirds?

Heather__Michigan
18 years ago

Hi All!

I had an all red variety of a fuschia in a basket last year and got hummers for a couple months, almost daily.

I tried a Hummingbird feeder but the aunts found it and clogged it up (very gross).

? Do hummers like all fuschias? Or just the red ones?

Thanks to everyone,

Heather

Comments (7)

• pnwjoy54
    18 years ago

I think red is just very attractive to them. But I have had hummers attracted to many plants that weren't red also.
    I have some mostly white Fucshias and I've seen the hummers on them.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Fuchsia arborescens and Fuchsia lycioides have been recommended as good hummer nectar plants. I've searched but seems lycioides is about impossible to find.

• corabell
    13 years ago

I was shopping at Garden Harvest Supply for my
    Gartenmeister bronstad' and it was temporary out of stock.
    I also check Logee's and they were out stock too
    So I was wondering why they are stock so soon.
    Last year, Garden Harvest Supply started shipping their
    annuals and other plants in Mid-May.

What other Fuchias plants attract Hummingbirds?
    Thank You

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Yes, ALL fuchsias attract hummers.......and they are not picky about colors, either. We grow tons of fuchsia baskets at my nursery and hanging in the breezeway, there are always several hummingbirds visiting them. I watch them oftem and they very methodically visit every open flower, regardless of the form (doubles or not) or color.

Hummingbirds are attracted to nectar producing plants and they seem to know which ones have the best goodies hiding. And it has little do with the either the flower shape or color - in my garden I've seen them visit hellebores and clematis, neither of which are remarkable for tubular flowers or the "red" color hummers are supposed to be attracted to, but they are both heavy nectar producers. I also grow a lot of known hummingbird attractors as well, including hardy fuchsias, Cape fuchsias (Phygelius), honeysuckle, salvia, agastache and lots of winter blooming hummingbird plants, as Anna's are present here year round.

• jandtsmom
    13 years ago

My HB just got his first Fuschia. I understand they need to be watered often. It has been hot here for May, so we have been watering it everyday. I was concerned with over watering it, because I see that some of the stems, that hang down look well, I guess you would say dead. They look wilted along with the leaves and some of the blossoms are turning brown. I have picked those off, and there are new buds forming. I got one of those 'water sphere' (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/285237690/GLASS_PLANT_WATER_BUBBLE.html) to put in it. Is that a good idea? Will that give it a good water balance? We have it hanging where it gets some sun in the morning and then shade the rest of the day. On the west side of our house. I don't want to kill his Fuschia! LOL! Thank you!!

• Ellen Massaro
    6 years ago

Fuschias don't like it when it gets too hot. And it may be that your container is drying out a little. They like uniformly moist, well-drained soil. If it's over 80 degrees, you might want to move it to a more shady location.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH