Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drappard

Fungicide info needed

drappard
17 years ago

I have 3 vine-like fuchsias purchased from different businesses. One month later, 2 are getting leaves that have something going on...discolorated spots (kinda greyish-brown) that spreads making the leaf spotty, rough and leatherly then dries and falls

Took a 10" sample exibiting various stages of the problem to a local plant shop where their "plant expert" (who has a garden show on a local radio station) said it looks like dirt-born fungus or virus...but wasn't sure because I'm not over watering. ((To be honest, he didn't even recognize the plant. When I told him it was a fuchsia, his basic attitude was "the climate in this part of the country is not for fuchsia"...and "best to just enjoy it while I can then toss it" !!!! )) Anyway, he told me to use Captan and do a dirt rinse/flush. Is this product safe for fuchsia? Reading the label makes me wonder. And I don't want to drown the poor things!

I'm wondering two possible alternatives:

1. Since these plants are in their original pot-mix, can I just repot them in fresh potting mix. Maybe remove as much of the old soil and/or rinse roots off completely before repotting. I'm not sure if this is possible as sensitive as fuchsias seem to be...any other plant I have I would not take a second thought cause I know they would survive.

or

2. I have several other fugicidal products (I have a variety of plants) and wonder if it would be better to try those first:

>3-N-1 by Safer. It contains potassium of fatty acid and sulfur.

>Brayer's Rose and Flower Care - all-in-one that has Tebuconazole, Imidacloprid, and 9/14/9 fertilizer

>Garden Safe's Fungicide 3 which is basically extract of neem oil

>or is there another one would suggest

or

Are there any other suggestions/imput???

Drappard

Comments (2)

Sponsored