Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenfocenter

Unknown Hybrid & Hybridizing Question

lenfocenter
19 years ago

Hey all. I visited a local nursery today and brought home three "miniature" Fuchsias. Two of them were accurately identified as "ShadowDancer Betty" and "ShadowDancer Violette" but the third was simply labelled "Hybrid Fuchsia."

This one is a bit different from the others I am normally familiar with. The leaves are a bit larger and darker, the petioles are a kind of reddish purple and the blooms appear in clusters terminating the stems. The blooms are long tubular shaped and a kind of pastel orange with four sepals and four petals making a kind of eight-pointed star at the end. The blooms are in hanging clusters of around 10 to 15 blooms.

I've also noticed that the two ShadowDancer hybrids are fond of forming seed pods/berries so they are obviously fertile. Although I know that hybrids rarely come true from seed, their offspring should/could prove to be interesting none-the-less. But, since the blooms are so easy to hybridize, I'd considered trying my hand at crossing these two, or maybe them with the long slender tube-shaped Fuchsia for an interesting combination.

So my question with that is, are there any perceived pitfalls in doing these hybrids and are there any online resources that might show where crosses between these two have already been performed?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz