Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_ga

Fuchsia, where to plant?

Georgia_GA
19 years ago

Hi, I just bought a Fuchsia plant from H.D. and like most of their plants there's not much info on them. My question is, can you plant these in the ground? The tag says in container or hanging baskets. After reading the FAQ it sounds as if you can plant them outside as long as they have some shade.

I really do wish that H.D. would put more info on the plants they sale, for us newbie's, it would help a lot.

Will these winter over? ( I live in Georgia)

Thanks in advance

Comments (5)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Hi Georgia,
    Yes it would be very helpful if they put more info on the tags for you, also the correct variety and not just Fuchsia. You say this one says 'for container or hanging baskets', that would suggest that it is a trailer, and if it is it would be spoilt by rain if hanging onto the garden soil.

You need hardy uprights for your garden. Hardy means they will survive the winter and upright means that the growth is upright not trailing - Kath:)

• Georgia_GA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the helpful information, these are beautiful flowers. Do you know if I can bring them in for the winter and have them survive until the next year. I didn't know if they would continue to bloom or are they an annual that will die off.
    Thanks again for your help.
    P.S. I wonder how we could get H.D. to put more info on the plants they sale. Just a thought.

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

Fuchsias are perennials Georgia, but some people treat them as annuals, all depends on your climate. But I see you are zone 7b so winter temps shouldn't be a problem. If you plant in the garden, don't cut it down in the Autumn (fall) leave all the old growth on until next Spring.

If you plant it in a pot you could bring it indoors for the winter, but then trim it back, keep moist, not soaking wet and place in a light position, not direct sunlight. - Kath:)

• Georgia_GA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Since mine are the hanging basket types I will be bringing them in for the winter. I can't thank you enough for your help and getting back to me so quickly. You must grow these yourself. How far do I trim them back? (sorry , I'm a newbie at all this)
    I killed a Bougainvillea by trimming it back to much ( it was planted in the ground) so I'm a little cut shy:)
    It's great to know that they are perennials.
    Georgia

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

That's ok Georgia, if you click on the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at the top of this Forum Page, your answer is there under 'Overwintering Fuchsias in pots' or go to my site, link below - Kath:)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bonsaigarden.net

Sponsored