Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Spots on Fuchsia Leaves

Posted by pkayen Z10/CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 04 at 12:42

I think this may be gall mite, but wanted to be sure before taking any action. The leaves on my fuchsia (upright planted outdoors - it is about 3 ft high and wide) have developed red spots. I noticed that the new shoots near the bottom are clean-looking, but the top branches show red spots. Should I cut these back and wait or cut back and spray the rest of the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Spots on Fuchsia Leaves

Hi Pkayen,
As you say the leaves of the top of the plant have red spots on, is it possible that they have had a cold wind or cold draught going over them lately, especially in the night? Red spots on leaves can be caused by a sudden drop in temperature. If this is the cause, don't worry, at worst they will die and fall off but new ones will grow in there place - Kath:)

o

Thank you, Kath. The temps have fluctuated quite a bit in the last few weeks, between hot and mild. I think I shall wait and see.

o

The red spots are still there. I also found some sticky stuff on the underside of the leaves. New growth is restricted to the lower parts of the plant. It has been scant, but looks ok. Should I prune the affected old parts (there is little or no new shoots in these)? I have never pruned it since I planted it over a year ago. What can I do to encourage growth?

o

Yes prune it back to the new growth Pkayen, then remove any old leaves etc that are laying on the soil. Then I would give it a spray (not when the sun is shining on the plant), with an insecticide, as it's sticky, sounds as if you have had a bug/insect of some sort - Kath:)

o

Thank you, Kath. I'll let you know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here