Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snapple856

Just bought 2 fuchsias

snapple856
17 years ago

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. I just got 2 fuchsia, one is pink and white and the other is purple and pink. The purple one doesn't look like it's doing too well, there was a lot of dead leaves and blooms so I picked them off and there is some new growth but now the whole thing looks like it's going to die. I repotted it in a self watering pot, there was also some breaks in some of the stems so I cut them off. I don't know what to do with it, or how to bring it back. There are only a few blooms on it now, so how do I take care of them? Any info would be helpful!Kris

Comments (7)

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Kris, I don't find these difficult myself. Are you good at growing other plants?

• snapple856
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have other plants on my other porch and they seem to be doing fine. Maybe cuz here in CT it's still a little cold for the fushia outside at night. But there is new growth. But I am no green thumb!

• socks
    17 years ago

Hows the plant doing? I've never used a self-watering pot and am not sure how they work. Is it possible the plant is too wet?

• snapple856
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The selfwatering pot has like a try on the bottom and you just put the water in the bottom at the spout. I haven't watered them in 2 days, so maybe that'll help. But it's been still pretty cold here in CT still, like down in the 50's at night, so maybe that's why they are looking bad. Now the pink one is looking like it's on its last leg. I don't know what the heck I am doing wrong!

• crazyforcorelli
    17 years ago

Fuchsia should survive -- though not necessarily thrive -- with nights in the 50s. Nevertheless, the cooler the weather, the less water the plants need.

Personally, I'd hold back the water with both plants, maybe even let them dry out a bit. I'd also get that one out of the self-watering pot, at least until it heats up a little. Also, how humid is CT? If youÂve got a lot of humidity, then youÂll want to decrease the amount of water as well.

By the way, they might be craving more light in the cooler weather. Are they getting much sun at the moment? If they aren't, you might try moving them to a brighter spot. I know that fuchsia are always listed as shade plants, but that's a bit of a misstatement. I find that here in UT they prefer part sun (as opposed to part shade or shade), and I seem to recall reading somewhere that in Oregon they can take full sun. (Can anyone confirm or refute that?) At any rate, it would seem that fuchsias need more light than generally suggested, at least in Northern climates.

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Crazy, I'm in Western Washington and I keep many of my fuschias in full sunn. At our latitude the sun is not as intense. 50 degree nights are what fuschias like BTW. If her fuschias had been grown in a part-shade greenhouse, it may take a while to adapt to full sun, but they will.

• zzepherdogg
    17 years ago

I live in the Northern Willamette Vally in Oregon, and the rule of thumb, (sort of) seems to be that if they are in the ground, most can take full sun, if its not in too hot of a micro climate, (think surrounded by black top, or against a hot wall.) Then there is another bit of Fuschia lore that says that the orange tones, creme, and some others can take sun better that some others. I dont remember if that meant others that were pale pinks and lavenders or others that were the deep reds and blues, but some types are definately more heat and sun tolerant. to my knowledge, none of them love soggy cold soil though, and if that were my plant, Id probably gently unpot it, and loosen up the soil by mixing in a bit of some dry compost, then repot it and maybe bring it inside at night or cover it with a piece of plastic, even an old plastic picknick table cloth will do. You can just slide it under a deck chair and throw the cover over that if you dont have a cold frame. I know that after a while it seems pretty simple, but when I was just starting to collect these I lost them every so often, and in fact I still loose a few every winter. Not a happy thing, but we are all learning. The good news is,this spring more than 60 made it :) Dont give up. It might also have been stressed when you got it, and with some TLC you will be fine

Sponsored