Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern

Posted by steedal z7 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 14:04

I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago. I repotted it into a bigger pot. It has been doing great but recently I noticed it getting some yellow leaves. The yellowing seems to start at the center vein of the leaf. The Fuchsia is on my back porch and gets morning sun but not afternoon nor evening. Could too much watering be causing the yellowing? Or could it be a disease? Any ideas?

Thanks very much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaves with odd pattern

Hi Steedal,
No doesn't look like overwatering, I would suggest it is one of 2 things or both.

The pot is standing next to the wall, and the yellowing looks to be in the centre of the plant near the soil level, it could be just lack of air circulation.

OR

It could be a lack of magnesium. The easiest way to correct this is the next time you water put a level dessert spoonful of Epsom Salts into 2 gallos of water and use some of this when watering your plant next time. Kath :)

o

Thanks very much! I'll try the Epsom Salts!

One thing I thought about lastnight is.....I put Boric Acid along that window edge to keep the ants out of my kitchen. I wonder if the boric acid could be getting into the Fuchsia and causing problems?

Thanks again!!
Andra

o

Hi Steedal,

Can I just ask a couple of things;

Does the plant container have good drainage?

Is it planted directly into the container shown or is there a pot inside that container?

Tight....

o

Hi Tight,
The pot has pretty good drainage. Yes, it is planted directly in that pot. I used the Miracle Grow potting soil when I repotted it.

Thanks!

o

Hi Steedal,

I think I would remove the faded leaves - they are not doing the plant any good, the air circulation will be improved and new leaves will re-grow anyway.

Did you add any drainage material to the Miracle Grow potting soil? - perlite or horticultural grit should be added to composts to aid drainage, I use 5 parts soiless compost, 1 part perlite and 1 part grit.

The epsom salts treatment advised by Kath should help,but don't overdo it.

Let us know how you get on.

Tight....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here