Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkjones_gw

Terribly excited! Have found fuchsia!

mkjones
19 years ago

Local greenhouse says they have a few baskets--one of their gardeners loves to grow & propagate the plant, so they sell some of his stuff (unlabeled, alas....seems he forgets).

BUT, I'm so pleased to find one finally, and I am going to order some from one of the mail order companies you recommended, Kath--so many gorgeous varieties! =)

Plan to hang the basket on a north-facing covered porch that gets morning & late afternoon sun, or in a corner of the same part of the yard where the azaleas & hostas grow. Sound like a good idea?

HAPPY, Kathleen in TX

Comments (10)

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

So glad you found some Kathleen, shady and good air flow are very important during hot sunny weather, Happy fuchsia growing - Kath:)

• CramItWitWalnutsUgly
    19 years ago

Don't forget ALOT of water. Keep the soil moist.

• LePhare
    19 years ago

I can't help but wonder at the number of varieties we have to choose from in the U.K. My problem is to limit the number I order. Guess 'I should be so lucky'!

IanS

• mkjones
    Original Author
    19 years ago

And she scores! Bought a big hanging fuschia this afternoon--"Swingtime!" I dug down into the healthiest one I could find, and voila! I tag was tucked down in there!! I can't tell you how happy I am to HAVE one, and to get a double bloomer in the deal--oh, "deal" because it was 50% for Mother's Day sales!

Feeling like a Lucky Duck!

=) Kathleen

• fuchsiabonsailady
    19 years ago

In the beginning of collecting fuchsias I would say 'Swingtime' is everybody's favourite :)

Warning Ian :) In my 'hay-days' I used to have over 350 different varieties, fuchsias can become very addictive:) - Kath :)

• LePhare
    19 years ago

Kath,
    I learnt my lesson with Orchids! They can seriously damage your wealth!!
    IanS

• mkjones
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, dear....I had a feeling that fuchsias might hold the addictive nature that my african violets have bestowed upon me. I'm NOT telling my husband....

;-)
    Kathleen

p.s. IanS, my grandmother, hailing from London, has extolled the beauty of many plants from her homeland, much being that of the beautiful fuchsia she remembers her uncle growing along the countryside. =)

• miac23
    19 years ago

IanS-

I totally agree with the Orcids!!LOL!! But now my flower of choice is now the lovely fuchsia. My grandmother used to always grow those from her balcony. She was a special lady! When she died, I upheld the fuchsia tradition. I have two hanging baskets and one hardy one.

AND I WANT MORE!!!! LOL

-Mia (a.k.a. The crazy plant girl)

• LePhare
    19 years ago

Mia,

My first introduction to a fuchsia, was the fuchsia arch around the front door of my grandmother's cottage. The plant(s) were over 100 years old and always full of flower all summer long. I must have 'caught the bug' at an early age and didn't know it until now!

IanS

• lucygrac
    19 years ago

i'm really bad. i've had the orchid and fuchsia obsession for a l0ng time. i'm always wranling an orchid in the house, but it's really hard to hide a blooming orchid so it doen't take long to get busted. and every year i send off for new fuchsias usually from antonelli's or d&b. i'm waiting for my shipment now. i've manage to let my strawberry fizz die, and i have to have that one.. so i ordered two. a couple of applause, a hayward, giant falls, and a pink marshmallow.
    happy growing
    debbie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio