Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ballerina Blau in Central NC

Posted by DLBDemonSlayer z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 04 at 18:04

I am a newbie with fuschias. My husband and I drove over half an hour to a garden nursery (Big Bloomers for you local folks) to purchase fuschias for our new hanging baskets about 3-4 weeks ago. (We got the black metal baskets with the coconut liners.) We didn't notice any other variety (except white which we weren't interested in) so we got the Ballerina Blau. My question is, is this a trailing variety that will hang down to eventually cover the basket? It's about to bloom and it hasn't begun to hang over the sides of the basket yet. It's still erect. Did we buy the wrong variety for our purposes? Thanks so much for your help. I'm thrilled there is a forum dedictaed to this beautiful plant! I only wish I had discovered it before I bought mine. Also, will this variety perform well for me in my area? They are on an east facing porch with a shallow yard of grass and then a thin strip of woods after that. They really don't get a whole lot of sun. My only concern would be the heat of summer. How moist should the soil be and how often should I fertilize them? Now, while I wait for replies, I will browse this forum. Sorry if these have been asked before. I did a search specifically on this variety and came up empty. Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ballerina Blau in Central NC

I found at Proven Winners website that Ballerina 'Blue' was an upright. Is this the same variety as mine? If so, well, that kinda sucks. Fortunately, the baskets are pretty all by themselves so if we have to see them then I guess that's ok. I'm glad we didn't go with the cheesey plastic ones. BTW, sorry I've been misspelling "fuchsia". I've also learned about the watering requirements and fetilizer. I guess the question remaining is....how well suited is this variety to my area (Central NC)? I'm just thinking....if I let these plants continue the way they are without pinching (which I haven't been doing anyway) will they kinda fall over to slightly hang over the edge or will this cause them stress and possible damage? I don't think I have it in me to pinch off the buds I've been waiting to see for so long!

o
RE: Ballerina Blau in Central NC

Hi DLB,
Blaue Ballerina is what we call a lax-upright, it does hang downwards a bit but not as much as a true trailing variety.

Yes that's true if you start pinching now you will have to wait 4/6 weeks for it to flower, but if you do pinch-out the growing tips your plant will become much bigger.

The position you describe sounds ideal, keep moist but not soaking wet, preferably watering in the mornings.

Visit the FAQ page at the top of this Forum, or my website (link below) lots of information there - Kath:)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bonsaigarden.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here