Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
afternoon sun

Posted by noinwi z3/4 (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 19:27

Can fuschias take a blast of afternoon sun? I have one that I rescued and managed to overwinter after a neighbor tossed it. It's a little spindly right now, but I have been taking cuttings off of it to add back to the pot. The only shady spot I have is a corner that gets shade all day, then a couple hours of afternoon sun. I had an impatiens there last year that did well, so I was wondering how my fuschia would do there. Any info is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: afternoon sun

Actually that couple hours of sun would be good for it; as the angle of afternoon sun is less intensive. Up here in WA, I can keep them in sun all day as we never get long periods of high temps. Higher latitudes, lower angle of sunlight.

Your spindly condition is actually due to lack of light. Keep an eye on it when you have it in the shade; you might need to find a spot with more sunlight.

o
RE: afternoon sun

I haven't put the fucshia outside yet, that's why it's spindly. I'm preparing to plant it and the cuttings into a new hanging pot before hardening it off for outdoors. I just didn't want to go through all the trouble then have it fry from the afternoon sun. I've found that W WA sun is a whole lot different than W WI sun, having come from that area a few years ago. I'm still trying to adjust to gardening in this zone. Thanks for the response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here