Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calisunflower

Mites on fuchsia

calisunflower
17 years ago

I have a potted fuchsia on my porch that is a bit unhappy at the moment. I havenÂt been able to figure out what is wrong with it but after careful inspection I think it is some sort of mite. Now I canÂt figure out which mite and how to get rid of it.

Most of the leaves are bright and fresh (about eighty-five percent) but the rest have brown spots that seem to spread and take over the leaf until the spots turn very dark and the remainder of the leaf turns yellow. The leaves are very mottled looking which is why at first I thought it was a fungus, mold, or over/under watering. Nothing seemed to be working so I kept looking for something. I did see a little bug under the leaf.

After clipping many of the mottled leaves I put them in a zip-lock bag and shook it up, let it sit, and started looking. Aha! There are not a lot of them and they are very tiny which is why I had such a hard time figuring out what the problem was. They are a pale green color and I did see one or two red ones. I want to say that they are spider mites but I am not sure. Any ideas? What can I do to get rid of them? I have used garlic on my plants to get rid of aphids and other pests, will this work on mites?

I am also curious at to why they are on this plant and not on any of the other plants on my porch. I have many plants out there and two other fuchsias (of a different type) but only this one is being affected. Do I need to treat the other plants as well?

Thanks!!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz