Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mites on fuchsia

Posted by calisunflower CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 21:35

I have a potted fuchsia on my porch that is a bit unhappy at the moment. I havent been able to figure out what is wrong with it but after careful inspection I think it is some sort of mite. Now I cant figure out which mite and how to get rid of it.

Most of the leaves are bright and fresh (about eighty-five percent) but the rest have brown spots that seem to spread and take over the leaf until the spots turn very dark and the remainder of the leaf turns yellow. The leaves are very mottled looking which is why at first I thought it was a fungus, mold, or over/under watering. Nothing seemed to be working so I kept looking for something. I did see a little bug under the leaf.

After clipping many of the mottled leaves I put them in a zip-lock bag and shook it up, let it sit, and started looking. Aha! There are not a lot of them and they are very tiny which is why I had such a hard time figuring out what the problem was. They are a pale green color and I did see one or two red ones. I want to say that they are spider mites but I am not sure. Any ideas? What can I do to get rid of them? I have used garlic on my plants to get rid of aphids and other pests, will this work on mites?

I am also curious at to why they are on this plant and not on any of the other plants on my porch. I have many plants out there and two other fuchsias (of a different type) but only this one is being affected. Do I need to treat the other plants as well?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mites on fuchsia

ISOPROPHY ALCOHOL- 70 % 1 part alcohol- 3 or 4 parts water. Add a spreader sticker/wetting agent.* Spray it on the fuchsia, particularly under the leaves and on the stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here