Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyforcorelli

Have I got botrytis?

crazyforcorelli
16 years ago

Help! My fuchsia starts are dying!

The problems appears first in the larger leaves, which start to droop. They're also very silky and thin to the touch, without the level of stiffness/firmness characteristic of the leaves on healthy plants.

Next the stems start to droop. Ultimately, everything turns dry and crispy; then the plant dies.

I don't think the problem stems from either over- or under-watering. I've had starts come down with the problem in wet pots, as well as others develop the symptoms in dry ones. The same goes for light. Some victims were getting mostly shade; others had mostly sun.

My attempts as resuscitation have not been successful. I've removed the sickly starts from their original pots -- if only to prevent the problem from spreading -- and put them in others with different conditions. For example, if the soil of the original pot was wet, the new one was dryer; if the plant seem to be in an exposed location, the new pot went into a warmer, more sheltered spot; etc. Now I'm trying removing the large leaves when they first come down with the symptoms. Since the "disease" moves quickly, I'll probably be able to tell if this procedure helps by morning.

Any ideas what I've got? Most of the starts were purchased from the same grower (and at the same time). They also sat together (in close quarters) on the potting bench for a time, while I waited for the temperature to warm up.

Thanks!

-Crazy

Comment (1)