Return to the Fuchsia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late Autumn transplant...?

Posted by fredman (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 0:40

Hi everyone. I'm talking from New Zealand. Its late fall here at the moment. I received a Fuschia today. I had to dig it up today because the people are moving house. The plant is old (at least 15yrs) with a 3 inch trunk. I plan to make a bonsai from it but not to optimistic that it will survive.
The plant was loose in the ground from constant wind. I tried to get as big rootball as i could, but found no fine roots when i started digging. In the end all the soil fell of the roots and i were left with bare thickish roots and no fine ones. I cut the trunk 12 inches above the soil level and planted it in a pot filled with a good gritty mix soil.
I plan to keep it in the garage all winter.
Does anybody have some good news for me about its chances of survival because i sure cant see it surviving such a shock?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late Autumn transplant...?

If 15 years old, this must be a hardy fuchsia :-)

I would not have cut the plant back so severely. In my climate, hardy fuchsias hold on their foliage well into the early winter and the plant is still photosynthesizing. Photosynthesis generates roots. However, it is on the verge of its dormant period so the need for those roots now is not as acute.

I'd leave it outdoors as long as possible - at least until weather got pretty cold. And should it survive this ordeal, I might think twice about the bonsai plans. Bonsais are typically started from very young and quite small plants - that way they are very malleable and can be trained into desired habits. A 15 Y.O., shrub with a 3" trunk is a bit senior for this process :-)

o

Hi Gardengal. Yes its a hardy Fuschia. Its a Beacon. Red and purple. Its been growing outside in the wild NZ wind and weather.
Well whats done is done. I'm just hoping and praying that come spring i will see some small buds smiling at me.
I couldn't do anything differently. My main worry is that is was very loose in the ground from the constant wind we have here in Wellington NZ. The soil fell off and absolutely no fine rooting. Only biggish roots.

o

Just a follow up... I'm pleased to report that the fuchsia started budding in spring and now is growing exceptionally well. Remarkably tough stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fuchsia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here